PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrbrog

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2011
I'm doing a new project, and need some input from smoking buddies.

I want to make a glass jar with an airtight cover for my pipe tobacco, so I can enjoy seeing my tobacco all day long.

What is the best most common size to do this?

8 oz? 16oz?

Should I do more than one size?
12187700_784779074965708_1125634865005343254_n.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
How many blends or types of leaf are in your rotation? If you have more variety, you probably need smaller jars. These handsome, handmade jars are really for the blends you use regularly. You can use regular old canning jars for storage and aging, I would think, unless you are working them into your decor, but I think aging jars are better kept out of the light, hence, out of view.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I like big jars for my daily smokes, like for Early Morning Pipe it must be about an 8 ounce size. I find about 4 ounces of tobacco when fluffed up will pretty much fill it. I'd definitely do a few sizes, like if you open a tin and aren't going to smoke it right away, you need a small jar for 50 grams of tobacco. If it's a 100 gram tin then you'll need twice as big. Etc...

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Mr Brog, Good to see you again. I enjoy my pipe from your company.
To answer your question, I like the container you are showing. Since we are talking about short term storage, rather than long term, it does not need to be as secure as a canning jar, but it must still be airtight. The big opening is a great feature. Is there a way to add a label to jar? Most tobacco looks alike, once you take it out of the tin. If there was a way to transfer the tin art to the jar, or an erasable section for writing, that would improve the utility of the jar.
Also, since most tins are about 2 oz, is it possible to also make a jar that can hold that amount?
Really big idea. Have you considered coming to the Chicago Pipe Show? It would be a great way to show your product to many pipe smokers. I would enjoy getting to meet you.
Winton

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Tobacco jars are an appealing idea that fail in practice.
And yet they were omnipresent through the golden age of pipe smoking. I wonder if this is an issue of throughput and humectants. Going off on a tangent, but I've wondered if the high moisture content of S. Gawith flakes isn't an antiquated solution to the porosity of vintage tobacco storage methods (unsealed jars and pouches).

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I still keep a tobacco jar on my desk with my "daily" blend in it, whatever that may be. I think for those that rotate through many blends, it's not a practical solution. However, if you have a favorite that is your go-to blend, it is still practical, IMO.
The older jars by Decatur and the like, usually have a moisture disc in them as well, so you can maintain a decent humidity without the tobacco turning to dust.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I use mason jars. Not sure if it's good enough, but I figure if it's good enough for pickelling, it's good enough for aging.

Status
Not open for further replies.