Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve had my eye on a nice Ferndown for a hot minute... but it is, to put it bluntly, an excessively large pipe. Overall length is just under 7”, and the chamber is apparently 15/16” wide by 1 and 15/16” deep.

Cure my ignorance... what the actual hell does one smoke out of such a pipe? The price is right, but my goodness. I want it... but I don’t know what the heck I’d do with it.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My limited experience with wide bowls is they take a little more attention to technique to get a nice even burn. Once I get to about 7/8” wide, I have to be mindful of getting a more even light, and the line between staying lit and burning too hot becomes a bit narrower, but it’s not hard to get the hang of it. Just something to be aware of the first few bowls. Of course I may be the only weirdo that’s had that experience, YMMV. ?‍♂️

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Big bowls... no thanks. There is a reason why the average size of a pipe bowl is what it is... holds enough tobacco for a decent duration of a smoke, and a good diameter conducive to staying lit and burning evenly. Of course this “ideal size” exists on a spectrum and is in part subject to personal preference, but suffice it to say that a nearly 1 inch wide by 2 inch deep bowl is absolutely massive and probably won’t get smoked much.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Well, Cap'n, not all of us can be smoking all day. Not being able to smoke in my home, I must have short sessions. Even if I could smoke in here, I've not been smoking daily for years or decades like some of the veterans here and my mouth and throat do get mildly irritated if I smoke longer than 30 min. I just couldn't imitate you. If I had a pipe that size I'd be packing it on Sunday and smoking it all week.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Well, Cap'n, not all of us can be smoking all day. Not being able to smoke in my home, I must have short sessions. Even if I could smoke in here, I've not been smoking daily for years or decades like some of the veterans here and my mouth and throat do get mildly irritated if I smoke longer than 30 min. I just couldn't imitate you. If I had a pipe that size I'd be packing it on Sunday and smoking it all week.
It helps that I can smoke at my desk at work too. Brad (tbradsim1) has many pipes larger than mine.?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I too prefer smaller pipes 9/10 times, but I have a handful in that size range, a couple larger. They get smoked once every month or two, but are a real treat when they do. It’s nice to sit with a pipe for a couple hours sometimes. I can’t do aros in them, its just too much, but with natural tobaccos they’re a joy. Sometimes I’ll load a bowl in one and smoke it at intervals throughout the day which is great too. No prep at all for the latter smokes.

My largest, chamber wise anyway, is this 1” x 3” Mario Grandi poker.

985F8089-9EA2-4C81-9162-4E58513536F4.jpeg
3D043CB7-26F1-4EC1-A8CF-7A6A51DDE86E.jpeg

Jun 9, 2018
England
IMG_20190801_210124.jpg

The bowl on this is huge and it can be a bit too much, it all depends on the blend though. Some Germains shag cut and I can pack it all the way to the top. If it's cube cut PPP then halfway is more than enough.
Tobacco that has a topping can be overpowering as well, I think it's because the bowl is deep and very wide. I tried smoking some Germains Medium Flake in it and it was overpowering, it actually made me feel sick. Strong tobacco works great in it though. Sam Gawith Twist or Revor Plug is the sort of thing that I usually smoke in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.