PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Our farm collective is offering squash blossoms, so my wife ordered a few small boxes, stuffed them with feta cheese, rolled them in flower, and deep fried them to a turn, and we ate them with dipping salsa, with lager to drink. Light, not oily at all, and delectable.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
I've seen Daylily flowers used as a substitute for those tissue-paper thin squash blossoms.

Mom R.I.P. - would take some of the freshly picked squash blossoms, dip them in egg-wash, dust them in flour and fry them up three or four at a time, like a small pattie, in some light veg. oil. Since these delicate blossoms are seasonal, it was my all-time favorite, summer lunch. Eaten warm, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper...the best!

Mom was always in the kitchen back in those long gone, 1950s days. Squash blossoms were sold in all Italian markets, and were dirt cheap. But all the new "gourmets" on TV made squash blossoms popular -and so now, they cost big money. They did the same thing with popularizing skirt steaks, which were considered junk meat, years ago. Now, it cost more than filet mignon. But char-broiled, I'd take a skirt steak over any rubbery-bloody filet mignon or the always-shoe-leathery, London Broil.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I had them while in Florence, Italy. They were fried and delicious! And I guess the "loroco" in pupusas con queso y loroco is also a flower blossom of some sort, and I've had those a number of times.

I've seen Daylily flowers used as a substitute for those tissue-paper thin squash blossoms.

Mom R.I.P. - would take some of the freshly picked squash blossoms, dip them in egg-wash, dust them in flour and fry them up three or four at a time, like a small pattie, in some light veg. oil. Since these delicate blossoms are seasonal, it was my all-time favorite, summer lunch. Eaten warm, sprinkled with a little salt and pepper...the best!

Mom was always in the kitchen back in those long gone, 1950s days. Squash blossoms were sold in all Italian markets, and were dirt cheap. But all the new "gourmets" on TV made squash blossoms popular -and so now, they cost big money. They did the same thing with popularizing skirt steaks, which were considered junk meat, years ago. Now, it cost more than filet mignon. But char-broiled, I'd take a skirt steak over any rubbery-bloody filet mignon or the always-shoe-leathery, London Broil.
Yeah, dang food hipsters ruin everything. My grandma calls them "yuppies" and has a whole list of things they've ruined by virtue of their "discovery" and subsequent increase in price :LOL:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, yes. I forgot the egg wash, she did that too. My original post had the funny typo about rolling them in flower. Uh, flour that is. Pumpkin blossoms off the vine sound good.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
My squashes have over 50 blossoms between them. I knew you could eat them, but wouldn't pulling them off prevent pollination and thus no fruit?

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’ve got about 650 squash plants on the farm right now…the squash is more valuable to us than the blossoms at the moment (and, oh my, does my back hurt from picking squash today!) but here and there I pick some and eat em right off the plant. They’re so very good. We’ll sell them if the plants start to die off but the blossoms are still ok. They go bad quickly so it’s a specialty item for us. If a local farm has them for sale, snap them up!

And, also, thank you @mso489 for supporting local farms! We work really hard to provide quality food, and I think the difference is immediate between fresh, local foods and grocery store stuff.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
My squashes have over 50 blossoms between them. I knew you could eat them, but wouldn't pulling them off prevent pollination and thus no fruit?
Yes, which is why we don’t often sell them on our farm. The plants have a male and female flower, with the female blossom making the fruit when pollinated. The squash is actually a swollen ovary. Both are edible.

We’ll harvest blossoms if the plants are dying off (which sometimes happens sooner than we’d like) or if we’re removing them to plant another crop, otherwise the squash, which we sell by the pound, is much for valuable. A home gardener can designate a couple plants to harvest blossoms from, though you’d want to leave at least one male blossom if you’d like some squash later on. And don’t forget, the more you harvest summer squash, the more they’ll produce.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops, this got on the wrong thread. Pardon the mistake please.

I'm not a surfer, but was intrigued to learn about surfing in December on Lake Erie. I went to the beach often on Lake Michigan during the summer but never suspected surfing was a possibility on the Great Lakes.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Yes, which is why we don’t often sell them on our farm. The plants have a male and female flower, with the female blossom making the fruit when pollinated. The squash is actually a swollen ovary. Both are edible.

We’ll harvest blossoms if the plants are dying off (which sometimes happens sooner than we’d like) or if we’re removing them to plant another crop, otherwise the squash, which we sell by the pound, is much for valuable. A home gardener can designate a couple plants to harvest blossoms from, though you’d want to leave at least one male blossom if you’d like some squash later on. And don’t forget, the more you harvest summer squash, the more they’ll produce.
Thank you for that info, Glad to be in the know!

Status
Not open for further replies.