PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Stopped by my local B&M today. Jim, the proprietor, showed me an estate pipe he had recently acquired, a Kaywoodie large bowl gourd calabash. It was in beautiful shape - couldn't have been smoked more than 3 or 4 times. Jim says it's the first one he's ever seen, and that Kaywoodie only made them from 1939-1968. It was cleaner than the one Jameral shows in this thread.
Very cool.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I assume he was gonna sell it, Roth. I have no idea of what his asking price would be. It was much nicer than this one on ebay.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
Everyone must have at least one calabash in their collection/rotation. How else could we possibly sit back and read a Sherlock Holmes novel??? LOL

Lifeon2 is correct when he says that they are not uncommon but finding one in really nice condition may take a while. The Kaywoodie Calabash pipes are bringing big $$ today compared to a couple years ago. The most important thing in buying one is finding a calabash with the right size and shape of gourd that you want. I have a calabash with a huge sized gourd that I don't especially enjoy smoking, and another with a thin sharply bent gourd that I love to smoke. Be patient and you can find what you want in time, there's plenty to go around.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
I know it's been a few weeks since Jud started this topic, but I had to look it back up to relate a coincidental occurrence. A week after the initial post I was sitting late at night at my father's computer, 500 miles away from me now, reviewing the forum as Dad slept in the next room, he in home hospice status. I had just finished cleaning his pipes; he still tries to smoke at least one bowl a day although it takes a huge amount of personal effort and help from his 24 hour aides to do so. As the linked photo to this Kaywoodie flashed onto the screen my mother passed by me, saw the image and said, "Oh, hold on a minute there" and left the room. Five minutes later she returned and placed next to the keyboard the identical box with my father's Kaywoodie Calabash inside. I had not seen it in 50 years. I'd totally forgotten that it existed in fact. He did smoke it quite a bit at one time; it does need some cleaning, but I'm not ready to smoke it yet.
Ya' never know, gents, ya' never know...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What a great story and happy coincidence! Calabashes are very tolerant of grime, and what looks odious,

especially if you remove the cup, may in fact be ready to go. Just clean the stem and bowl and have at it!

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Wow, great story Ari! I think it is great that your father still tries to smoke a bowl a day. Thanks for the post. That put a huge smile on my face. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.