PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I notice on the SP site devoted to Genod pipes, the brand has an array of pipes with briar stems. My first reaction was "oh boy," how organic and in tune with the basic material of so many pipes! My second thoughts were, gosh, would I want to be mouthing a piece of wood, probably stained, that would certainly get more chewed and inadvertently eaten over time? As a child, under my pipe smoking dad's tutelage, I used to get licorice root from the local pharmacy, the actual root with bark, a little bundle of four-inch root sections, which is consumed by slowly chewing it for flavor and spitting out the wood/root fiber. That is the picture I get from the idea of a briar stem. So, educate me. Is briar an appropriate stem material? Durable enough? Long lasting enough? I feel like I'd chew up the stem and send the stummel out for a refit stem in a year or two. Enlighten me. I realize Genod is not the only brand to do this, but this is the most pipes I've seen at one time in one place with this feature. For extra credit, does anyone know what the pharmaceutic folk remedy use of licorice root is, since it was sold by the local pharmacy?

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Funny about the licorice root. As a kid here in the Deep South, we always thought sugar cane was a treat. We’d peel it and chew it until the sugar was gone out of it and then cut off a new piece and go again.

Briar is a pretty hard, dense wood. If not varnished or stained, I would think it’d have a serviceable use as stem material, especially for “non-clenchers,” but that’s just a wild-ass guess. Never tried it.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I feel like a briar stem would get particularly nasty. With tobacco and spit juices and all that? Also the bitemarks would have to be terrible.

Maybe for light or home use.. but as a serious use pipe I'm pretty sure there's a reason besides cost that this practice became archaic.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I've heard that some clenchers prefer them, as the wood will actually mold to your bite mark like a retainer, making clenching a breeze. To me it sounds a little annoying, especially since when I clench I'm constantly moving the pipe around, but hey, to each their own.

I've been tempted by them in the past (The Genod's, and also the Morgan Bones "One" series) but have not ever pulled the trigger on them.

Aug 1, 2012
Personally I would pass any pipe with briar stems, concerning on licorice candies up here in Scandinavian countries and especially In Finland&Sweden those are very wide spread and popular, not that long ago they even launched licorice ice cream, but if you ask me deeply dislike anything sweet with licorice
Yeah, you're probably one of those who loves the salty licorice or the hot licorice. Dang Scandinavians with their salty licorice... ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Personally I would pass any pipe with briar stems, concerning on licorice candies up here in Scandinavian countries and especially In Finland&Sweden those are very wide spread and popular, not that long ago they even launched licorice ice cream, but if you ask me deeply dislike anything sweet with licorice
glad you said that because the salty licorice candies are horrid. They're the only high concept candy in the world. They taste so bad they make everything else seem wonderful in comparison. Or at least that's the only way I can imagine them being enjoyed.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If anyone has had a good experience with briar stems that have stayed durable, let us know. Wood, even briar, just seems too soft to me.

Reactions: milk

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I remember that Dixie Gun Works used to carry (and probably still does) a steel tomohawk "peace pipe" among their other products. The tomohawk handle is, of course, the stem. It's been a while, so I don't remember how the bit-end was finished.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
If anyone has had a good experience with briar stems that have stayed durable, let us know. Wood, even briar, just seems too soft to me.
It works fine. Not like there's anything new about briar being used for a stem. Briar was being used before Vulcanite. Anyway, I have a couple of pipes with briar stems that are fine after decades of service.

Y'all can go back to talking about licorice now.

Status
Not open for further replies.