PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
That's how I like it! I feel it burns easier that way. I've tried the fold and stuff method with basically no luck. I still like to buy the flakes though, its just more fun that way.

The more I explore, the more I find I enjoy the whole process. I just tried my first “real” non-aromatic tobacco a few hours ago and I can say I’m hooked. Accompanying post to follow shortly. Looking forward to trying this ODF. I was going to wait, but after that bowl earlier, I’m like a kid on Christmas.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I fell in love with flake tobacco, and it struck me that as it came pressed it should stay that way as much as possible. I read that several have found a way to fold and stuff, one of the favored ways to smoke intact flake, the pressed tobacco having a slower burn. But despite repeated attempts to so load the bowl, keeping the tobacco burning eluded me, so over time I resorted to moderately rubbing the tobacco out.

I would say rubbing it out as completely as the pictures above is unnecessary, but proceed as you will to fine smokes.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I fell in love with flake tobacco, and it struck me that as it came pressed it should stay that way as much as possible. I read that several have found a way to fold and stuff, one of the favored ways to smoke intact flake, the pressed tobacco having a slower burn. But despite repeated attempts to so load the bowl, keeping the tobacco burning eluded me, so over time I resorted to moderately rubbing the tobacco out.

I would say rubbing it out as completely as the pictures above is unnecessary, but proceed as you will to fine smokes.

I figure that, like with many things, I’ll eventually determine my own preference. However, I like pooling the audience for a good starting point. This was an interesting little process, definitely worth the time, I feel. I’m going to load it into the bowl shortly and see what happens...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I never understood why one would purchase tobacco cut into beautiful flakes and then ravage it by rubbing it out. At least 75% of what I smoke are flakes and I don't rub any of them out. If I wanted ribbon cut tobacco, I would have purchased ribbon cut tobacco. I can pack a folded, stuff flake in less than 1/2 the time it takes to pack ribbon cut or rubbed out flake. It would take 5 times as much time just to rub it out.

With that said, for those who prefer rubbing out, have at it. I liked your first attempt best as that is kind of broken flake. It's your money, your tobacco, do with it as you please. But don't give up on learning how to pack a folded flake.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I never understood why one would purchase tobacco cut into beautiful flakes and then ravage it by rubbing it out. At least 75% of what I smoke are flakes and I don't rub any of them out. If I wanted ribbon cut tobacco, I would have purchased ribbon cut tobacco. I can pack a folded, stuff flake in less than 1/2 the time it takes to pack ribbon cut or rubbed out flake. It would take 5 times as much time just to rub it out.

With that said, for those who prefer rubbing out, have at it. I liked your first attempt best as that is kind of broken flake. It's your money, your tobacco, do with it as you please. But don't give up on learning how to pack a folded flake.

I definitely won’t. That’s how I intend to smoke it next. Any pointers?

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I personally hate folding/stuffing.
But others love it...
just dry the flake a lot before you try it.

Reactions: B.Fee
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I'm thinking some flakes may burn better than others. With the few I've smoked, I find it easier to just kind of make a ball and shove it in the chamber. Even seems to stay lit better in flake form than ribbon cut with less drying time.

Reactions: BROBS

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

MacBaren didn't make a ready rubbed version of Burley flake.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

Flakes were made into flakes for storage. They were always intended to be rubbed out.

Reactions: didimauw
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I definitely won’t. That’s how I intend to smoke it next. Any pointers?

Search here, there are some great posts/threads on loading flake. I want my flake to be dry to the point it just breaks when I fold it in half. I fold it lengthwise next. Hold both ends, give a 15 to 20 degree twist and push the ends towards each other slightly to break it up slightly. Insert folded end in top of bowl, twist gently while pushing down. Don't push too hard, ideally, you'll leave a small gap between the bottom of the bowl and the bottom of the folded flake. LIght, puff and enjoy! I think the key is getting the flake to the ideal dryness.

Reactions: BarrelProof
Status
Not open for further replies.