PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was perusing tobaccoreviews.com when I thought about which houses have the most reviews and how many different blends they have. Houses with less than 3000 reviews I am not listing. If we have a math major, try to figure out who has the most reviews to the least amount of blends. That should also be interesting. So are any of you surprised at the findings?
McClelland is the winner with 6087 reviews comprising of 225 different blends.

Cornell & Diehl 4463 comprising of 261 different blends.

Mac Baren 4256 comprising of 83 different blends.

Samuel Gawith 4047 comprising of 93 different blends.

Dunhill 3241 comprising of 71 different blends

GL Pease 3209 comprising of 56 different blends

It's been kind of slow around here the last week or so, so we go making up mathematics problems for those who suffer TAD?

Ha ha, If a .7" diameter by 1.25" deep pipe will smoke for 1.2 hours, how long will a .9" x 1.8" pipe burn?
You have 2.6 lbs of Virginia flake which will fill 20 pint sized mason jars, how may jars will it take to cellar up 5 lbs of bulk ribbon? And, how many ozs per jar?
:wink: :puffy:

If you're going by houses, GLP would be folded into C&D
Well, if that was the case, then that makes Scandinavian Tobacco group the largest in the world, with Dunhill, Stokkebye and pretty much all of Europe under one group, if I am not mistaken by how they are organized. No, I think that GLP gets his own house, or else the rest will get crushed. Besides all of these companies swap spit all the time anyways.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Bill, that's an interesting observation but the numbers still reflect a pretty significant variance. The two larger houses hover around a 25% review rate of blends (when C&D and Pease are combined) while the smaller houses are at a 45% rate. I'm not entirely sure what that suggests but it will probably provide the opportunity for speculation.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
So no one else has any comments? It took me all of half an hour to come up with a topic never discussed in the annals of PM.com. If someone else can come up with an original topic, let's see it.
Now discuss until there is nothing left to say.

What pipe blend best covers up cabbage farts?

What is the best pipe shape to smoke while copulating? with another human?

Show off your crayon skills on an old tin of Balkan Sobranie, Sasieni.

Suggestions for opening a brand new tin with only one hand.

What exotic food would you like to see converted to an aromatic tobacco.

I could go on...
But honestly, which tobacco blender, house thing confuses me. This took you half an hour?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cos, try some legitimate topics like what blend do I smoke while doing a 2 dollar crack whore.

What blends does cosmic smoke while engaged with his favorite sheep. I could go on and on with those as well.
I just sent Jim 4 blends that he has not tried, looking forward to his reviews. He is one of the guys whose tastes are similar to mine so he is a good source. He has steered me away from some red virginia nightmares.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
McClelland 27.05333333

Cornell & Diehl 17.09961685

Mac Baren 51.27710843

Samuel Gawith 43.51612903

Dunhill 45.64788732

GL Pease 57.30357142
These are the average numbers of reviews per blend per house. Statistically it is worthless. (sorry cigrmaster) We don't know the timespan these reviews took place, whether they were good or bad reviews, or the real numbers for each blend. We DO know that enough people cared about GL Pease to post the most reviews per blend, but it may represent a handful of actual tobaccos within that house. The same goes for the other houses. Probably a few blends getting the most attention.
We need a team to find the sales numbers of the last fiscal year for every house and every blend, THEN we can do some bullsh...I mean statistics. :)
Thanks for starting the post cigrmaster. I was merely posting about cat theft and here you are doing the hard work. Here's a Kewpie Doll for your efforts. Sorry I couldn't afford pants.
Kewpie-_200.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
mayfair, too damn funny, thanks for the doll, does it blow up?
Those statistics that you posted are awesome. They are not bullshit as my premise of the most reviewed houses and the corresponding blends per review are startling, and changes the lives of every poster who reads this thread. Now if you would like to break these numbers down further and count the good reviews and the bad, I would look forward to your results. I am sure you could get it done sometime this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.