PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovediggerdan

Might Stick Around
Dec 31, 2017
Possum Trot, MO
I'm a fan of the hot water flush on my briars, due to the general defunkification it applies. How about cobs, though? I just got my first MM, with a forever stem (shameless plug: forever stems are great!), and I got to wondering if the cob would handle the water in the same way (more porous than briar, perhaps?) Anyone have any experience with this?

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I need to run some tests with hot water for cleaning. I've been fairly aggressively cleaning my pipes with alcohol but I know there's a small passionate camp out there which advises against constantly throwing high proof alcohol into pipes-- The pipes which I've exposed to alcohol also smoke fairly wet, which could be my fault since my cadence is fast, but I can't help to think that perhaps they're onto something and maybe alcohol isn't as good for briar as I thought. These are estates of course which have the potential to have been ghosted and gunked and some may even be poorly engineered pipes, and my sample size is small, so I'm certainly not in any position to make conclusions. One of them *ought* to be a great smoker, a Savinelli Punto Oro straight apple which was heavily smoked with Captain Black Cherry-- I did two salt+alcohols on it, and scrubbed the shank with bristle and 192 proof until they came out clean-- smokes wet as hell and I don't know why... could the captain black gunk be so deep in the briar it prevents a dry smoke? Could the alcohol have hindered the briar? I just do not know...

Very interested in this hot water method though, will give it a shot.

When it comes to cobs, the wooden insert shank peice does tend to get fairly grimey and would probably benefit from this method every hundred or so bowls, but the cob itself will probably need a longer drying time since they suck up moisture like sponges-- that's my only intuiton there. Will try it on both briar and cob in the near future and post my findings in this thread if I can remember.

Last edited:

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
always wondered where everyone got those sweet replacement stems for their cobs. looks like i need to make an order!

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I have found that some alcohol or pipe master fluid on a pipe cleaner gets things pretty good n back in shape...but, i also imagine there are 1.2 million ways to skin this cat. I wonder if water could cause the cob to crack ...maybe not if you don;t smoke it until it's totally, for sure, 100% dry. Interesting...

Reactions: Bowie

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
I rinse all my briars religously, but I actually just threw away 2 cobs because I guess I rinsed them too much maybe. The wooden stems are made out of cheap wood and they got soft on the inside, fraying and tasting sour/off even after proper drying. If you do it, do it sparingly.

Reactions: Bowie
Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
I wash mine with water. They smoke better that way, maybe they need to dry a little longer than the briars. I usually dry overnight for both, but I sometimes smoke my MM Hardwood pretty much right after a washing.

Wash the cobs.. Let them dry overnight.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I rinse all my briars religously, but I actually just threw away 2 cobs because I guess I rinsed them too much maybe. The wooden stems are made out of cheap wood and they got soft on the inside, fraying and tasting sour/off even after proper drying. If you do it, do it sparingly.
Good to know. I hadn't thought about that stem.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA

How old were these cobs you threw away? I've only been washing mine for a couple months. I guess something could come back to bite me in the ass, 10 bucks might be worth the freshness of a clean pipe, even if i have to buy a new cob every 6 months to a year. Was there possibly any mildew in the shank from wet weather, or just not drying properly because of how they were stored?

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
How old were these cobs you threw away? I've only been washing mine for a couple months. I guess something could come back to bite me in the ass, 10 bucks might be worth the freshness of a clean pipe, even if i have to buy a new cob every 6 months to a year. Was there possibly any mildew in the shank from wet weather, or just not drying properly because of how they were stored?
They were a few months old as well, but I wash my pipes right after resting every time. After the first time I did it and saw all the tar and micro flakes rinse out I made it a habbit. Mildew is a possibility and maybe I didn't dry them right but can't be certain I only smoked each 2 times a week. Now that I think about it I should have thrown them in my dehydrator just to see if that would've helped since I was throwing them away anyways.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
They were a few months old as well, but I wash my pipes right after resting every time. After the first time I did it and saw all the tar and micro flakes rinse out I made it a habbit. Mildew is a possibility and maybe I didn't dry them right but can't be certain I only smoked each 2 times a week. Now that I think about it I should have thrown them in my dehydrator just to see if that would've helped since I was throwing them away anyways.

Yea but, hell they're cobs. Clean them until they're soggy, smoke them until they burn out, and/or never clean them. Gotta admit they're a good smoke for under 20 bucks shipped, wether you wash them or not.

Sewage Pipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 15, 2019
Yea but, hell they're cobs. Clean them until they're soggy, smoke them until they burn out, and/or never clean them. Gotta admit they're a good smoke for under 20 bucks shipped, wether you wash them or not.
Amen brother, for what we all pay for our briars and meers they could be considered our red solo cups. Can't ask for more for what you pay for them. They do the job well and you won't feel bad about losing or abusing them. Lol

subsalac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 9, 2018
I must be old school because I won't put water in my briars or cobs. I know some of you have had success in doing so, but I'm just leery of exposing my pipes to water.

Do you only use dry cleaners then? Thoughts on high proof alcohol and briar, yay or nay?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Do you only use dry cleaners then? Thoughts on high proof alcohol and briar, yay or nay?
I sometimes use Everclear 100% Grain Alcohol to clean the stem and shank (briar) with a pipe cleaner. For a cob I just use a dry pipe cleaner for the stem and shank. I use a 40 caliber bore brush to clean the bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.