PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
I’m beginning to see that ?
The thing I've learned is it's all a bit more magic than science. In the end, it comes down to loser/firmer and less dry/more dry, and the permeations in between. Which is why I found it's easiest to keep smoking the same tobacco, trying out the various permeations. If you keep playing around with different tobaccos, you're going to end up chasing your tail. Cheers.

molst

Lurker
Sep 8, 2021
Sweden
I just recently opened a tin of Deluxe Navy Rolls and enjoyed the taste a lot. However, countrary to some advice here I think it was nearly a bit dry, so added 3 drops of water to the tin, which (after a couple of days) strengthened the taste and I think it cooled the smoke a little bit as well.

I always rub flakes and rolls just a little bit. Too much easily makes it go hot.

Typically, when I need to dry such a lightly rubbed portion from a recently opened tin, I never do that for more than 10 minutes. Even less than 3 minutes have effect. I'm very afraid of drying it too much...

Reactions: Akoni808

Akoni808

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Over the years, I've had two or three pipes that either smoked hot or smoked strangely bitter. They were consistently so, with no respite, no matter what you do with the tobacco, the pack, how you light it, how you draw, etc. I just toss 'em, problem solved. Life is too short for such bullshit.
So far I have one pipe like this. Needless to say, it’s never used.

Reactions: FLDRD

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
I just recently opened a tin of Deluxe Navy Rolls and enjoyed the taste a lot. However, countrary to some advice here I think it was nearly a bit dry, so added 3 drops of water to the tin, which (after a couple of days) strengthened the taste and I think it cooled the smoke a little bit as well.

I always rub flakes and rolls just a little bit. Too much easily makes it go hot.

Typically, when I need to dry such a lightly rubbed portion from a recently opened tin, I never do that for more than 10 minutes. Even less than 3 minutes have effect. I'm very afraid of drying it too much...
That’s interesting! My DNR were very moist. I feel like I’ve never had an issue with dry tobacco, but I’ve definitely had an issue with moist tobacco.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Lots of good tips in this thread. OP I too seem to have the hot pipe issue from time to time and have suspected it has to do with packing as people have said in this thread.
Usually it's drying. I've not experienced a hot pipe not a hot mess of dottle since I started paying attention to moisture content. Also it's hard to over compact tobacco unless it's moist.

Reactions: Akoni808

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
Over the years, I've had two or three pipes that either smoked hot or smoked strangely bitter. They were consistently so, with no respite, no matter what you do with the tobacco, the pack, how you light it, how you draw, etc. I just toss 'em, problem solved. Life is too short for such bullshit.

baby-scream-fuck-yeah.gif

FaceGamer1990

Lurker
Jul 11, 2022
i have no use of my arms and i'm wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on packing without relying on someone else. I use my mouth for everything and I used to roll my own cigs with a manual roller. I'd use 2 chopsticks in my mouth and mimic a pincer action (basically i learned how to use chopsticks with my mouth) and lay the tobacco in the roller and go from there. I've got the tamping and lighting down, I use zippos designed for pipes.

With that in mind, does anyone have any ideas?

Also I'm clencher and have a wee bit of tongue bite issue too. I might be smoking them to hot?

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I wonder if you can brace the pipe against something sideways, you might be able to use the chopsticks to stuff ribbon cut tobacco into the chamber?

Tongue bite can usually be caused by smoking too fast. Packing looser and drying the tobacco more might help as well.

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I suspect you're packing too tight. Try sitting the coins on top of the bowl flat and pushing them in the bowl by placing your finger in the center. Also, they may be too wet, make sure they're dried out sufficiently.
Does packing too tight cause it to burn hotter? Virginia and VaPers burn hotter, but I thought that they would burn cooler, at least with what I've noticed, folded & stuffed versus being rubbed out too much and being packed too lightly.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Does packing too tight cause it to burn hotter? Virginia and VaPers burn hotter, but I thought that they would burn cooler, at least with what I've noticed, folded & stuffed versus being rubbed out too much and being packed too lightly.
When tobacco is packed too tight, whether rubbed or folded and stuffed, you have to puff harder to draw. The pipe is like a bellows. Puff harder and it heats up.

• Love
Reactions: sparker69

sparker69

Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
When tobacco is packed too tight, whether rubbed or folded and stuffed, you have to puff harder to draw. The pipe is like a bellows. Puff harder and it heats up.
That's really interesting. I'm going to give that a try. Another question: the tobacco expands when it's lit. If the pipe is packed too tightly, can this somehow damage the bowl?