PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikenac

Lurker
Jan 19, 2014
I just ordered my first Meershaum pipe from Ebay, and I really like the pipe. It's a good smoker, keeps the smoke pretty cool, and enjoyable.
However, when I smoke this pipe (especially with VaPer or Aros), the bowl gets hot. When I say hot, I mean cook an egg hot. Is this normal? Is there anything to be done about this besides wearing gloves?
Thanks.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I handle my meers mostly by the stem whenever I can. Not saying I don't hold them sometimes by the bowl. So, I use some Bert's Bees Wax hand cream on my handling fingers when I do.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I'm still working on getting my cadence slowed and have gotten a few cobs and briars pretty warm, but my meet has never gotten hot. Maybe it has thin-ish walls?

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I will have to agree with the "slow down" approach. I mostly smoke bent briars and clench them, and never have a problem. But when try to do the same with my long-stemmed billiard meerschaum, I wind up smoking it too fast and it can get hot enough I think it would almost glow red in the dark. I have to consciously remember to slow my stride and take smaller sips than in my briars. Also, how dry is the tobacco, and how loose (or tight) is it packed? It all comes down to several factors, but basic technique wins out almost every time. I should know. I find myself falling back into bad habits from time to time and have to retrain my brain.
Best of luck. :puffy:

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
My meer is the complete opposite. If I smoke my briars the way I smoke my meer the briars get way to hot. My meer I can puff away like crazy and it gets just a little warm, never hot. The walls on my meer are maybe a 1/4" thick, same thickness or thinner then most of my briars.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Slow down. Enjoy that meer. It is for tasting tobacco, not turning the leaf into hot coals.
I have many meers. The secret is to slow your pace, enjoy the taste of the tobacco as the meer acts as a kind of filter.
I also handle my newest meer bowls with a chamois cloth. Older ones, I don't worry so much about how dirty my hands are. But with new meers, the oils on your hands can cause some damage to the beautiful bowl that will eventually turn a beautiful patina.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
If any pipe (briar or meer) gets too hot to hold that's your signal to sloooooow down and enjoy it more. Fortunately my meer also has a lattice pattern carved into the outside that helps cool the bowl and insulate my fingers from the bowl. Happy puffin',
Dave

mikenac

Lurker
Jan 19, 2014
Here she is:
alo5.jpg

I made a real effort today to sip instead of puff, and there was no cooking bacon smell this time. This may improve my sip technique for optimal VaPer enjoyment ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.