PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
When I first started smoking a pipe I discovered a blend called Holy City at The Smoking Lamp in Charleston, SC back in the mid 90's. I don't smoke much so a small amount would last me a long time and I've lived in Charleston. Then I moved away and would pick up a bag whenever we visited.

Over the years The Smoking Lamp has trended away from pipes and is now primarily a cigar bar. The last time we were in Charleston we stopped in. A few of the old jars of pipe tobacco were still there in a dark corner. Few if any pipes on sale and a few stoners smoking cigars (?). The guy behind the counter did not know anything about the pipe tobacco.

And the Holy City was gone.

I'm down to just an ounce or two.

So this is just a Hail Mary to see if anyone has heard of this blend and/or has any idea where to get some.

I'm sure it was mixed up for that store by someone and is unobtainable. Most shops with bulk tobacco have something similar to it....but never quite as good.

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
Russ, I may take you up on that! That is very generous. It stays down at my cabin so it may be a week or so before I can get to it.

I am a little concerned that I may have mixed it with a similar blend....but still, some input on its general nature and what's in it and how to describe it would be very helpful too. I am also afraid it will be a little dry.

I will let you know something as soon as I get some of it home.

As far as appearance (I know nothing about tobacco since I've smoked almost nothing else but this for the last 25 years) it is cut in ribbons and is mostly very dark with light brown ribbons mixed in. It is clearly flavored but I can't say what the flavor is. It is very smooth with little or no harshness so I'm guessing low nicotine and high sugar. If pinned down I'd say it had a fruity flavor to it, not cherry but maybe berry-ish. Maybe some leathery undertones. Possibly a hint of chocolate.

I can also say that non-smokers love the smell of the smoke and the unsmoked tobacco itself.

drydock

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2016
I'm really excited to see how this evolves! I hope you do end up with a good match.

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
I got the tobacco from my cabin and will send to Russ sometime this week. Looking at it and smelling it I don't think I dumped another blend in with it.

Russ, I'll shoot you an email when I mail it out. And if you have and sell a similar blend I will be excited to buy some from you.

hoosierpipeguy, I think you are correct and hopefully Russ can at least get me close. I don't think this blend has any rare or special qualities but I can go from jar to jar of dozens of different bulk tobacco and like plenty of them but when I get to this one it just puts a smile on my face.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I remember it as a wide ribbon cut. It was definitely blended in the store and they sold it in plastic bags. I tried it a couple of times but don't really recall how it tasted. I hope this turns out well for you.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Along with hoosier', I suspect this is a standard blend renamed by the store as a house blend, which is a routine practice by many pipe shops, to keep customers coming back. Even before the deeming regulatory threat, not too many pipe shops had blenders in residence, much less talented ones. If so, Russ will spot this and identify it, maybe before he even lights it up. You may be able to get this from an online retailer, though you won't get it as well aged.

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
Retrogrouch, they did sell it in plastic bags but the main supply was in large glass jars. Back in the day they must have had 30 of them. I’d smell every one of them but always came back to this blend. Shops in Savannah, Hendersonville and Asheville had similar blends but none that were exactly the same.

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
Russ, I sent you an private email but I put some of the Holy City in the mail to you today. Look forward to hearing from you.

George

Reactions: retrogrouch

d750

Lurker
Aug 20, 2019
Update: Russ has identified Holy City as Lane Limited RLP-6. Many thanks to Russ for taking the time to do this.

It is sold here:

Unfortunately it is currently backordered but I intend to stock up as soon as it becomes available. Prices there are great.

Thanks again to Russ for getting me back together with my favorite tobacco!

George

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Chances are reasonable it was a McClelland mix or some standard blend by Sutliff or Lane that was renamed by the Store.

Was going to say the same.

Glad to see that Russ was able to identify it! Buy a few pounds and have it puf It's available at Smokingpipes.com:

Lane RLP-6

P&C often seems to be out of stock of many blends for one reason or the other. I suspect they might just move a lot of volume and run out before they can restock.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
That's awesome. Pipes & Cigars is an excellent vendor, maybe the largest too, and they will take good care of you. Russ has many great blends worth checking out as well.

Now I am in the mood to try RLP-6. Never had it before.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some years ago, one of the Forums mods made a list of some of the names applied to 1-Q by various pipe shops and chains, and there were about forty names, as I recall, and that was not an all-inclusive list, just what he could lay his hands on. New pipe smokers would assume this pleasing tobacco was an exclusive of the shop, and the shop wouldn't tell them otherwise, and people might go on for years going back for this supposedly exclusive blend. Now, I think, most shops will tell you if you ask, what their sourcing is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Here's the SP description of Lanes RLP-6:
Blended with just the right proportion of Golden Virginia and Burleys, Lane's RLP-6 is a basic blend of Toasted Cavendish tobaccos which takes on a zesty dimension. A great all day smoke with hints of Vanilla and Chocolate.

blendtobac

Lifer
Oct 16, 2009
I'm glad I was able to help. Fortunately, that flavor and aroma is so familiar to me after more than 40 years of being around it, it was an easy one to match. Enjoy the blend.

Russ

Reactions: danimalia
Status
Not open for further replies.