PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
So, there is a pipe on Ebay listed as a RARE Sasieni Four Dot Old England 109 xs. I wrote to the seller who almost certainly has no idea as they sell a lot of different products. explained that there was no such thing and that the pipe in question was an Old England and NOT a Four Dot. I got no response. This was about two weeks ago. The pipe is still listed. I probably won't follow through, but I sent them another message tonight hoping to encourage them to do the right thing and correct the listing. As I said, I doubt I'll follow through, but here is what I wrote:

"
Sir (or Ms), I contacted you once before. Perhaps you simply don't know (I'm hoping that's the case), but there is no such thing as a Sasieni Four Dot Old England. Sasieni Four Dot pipes were their top graded pipes. Old England pipes were made by Sasieni, but they were NOT Four Dots! Old England was one of Sasieni's many "seconds" lines, as was Mayfair, Friar, and many others. Your listing is fraudulent. A Sasieni Four Dot pipe is worth much, much more than an Old England pipe. Representing this pipe as a Four Dot is, at best, misleading and at worst intentional fraud. I hope this is not the case. I will have my answer when I see if you do the right thing and end this auction and relist with the correct information. If this title and description do not change, I will be forced to report the fraudulent activity to Ebay. I hope I don't have to do this, as I've never had to in the past."

Respectfully,
Tim Schiraldi

Thoughts?

ChuckMijo

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2020
I posted about this same thing not a month ago. Same as you it was a Sasieni . No response. But this is common across a lot of hobbies. It can only go 1 of 2 ways. Your uneducated and make a purchase only later to learn it wasn’t a good purchase. That’s a cheap education. Or 2 with eBay buying protection, you can almost always return it. The best advice is please know what you are buying, if unsure you can always PM another forum member for a opinion.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I posted about this same thing not a month ago. Same as you it was a Sasieni . No response. But this is common across a lot of hobbies. It can only go 1 of 2 ways. Your uneducated and make a purchase only later to learn it wasn’t a good purchase. That’s a cheap education. Or 2 with eBay buying protection, you can almost always return it. The best advice is please know what you are buying, if unsure you can always PM another forum member for a opinion.
Absolutely! Great advice. I just wanted to save someone the $200 lesson.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
So, there is a pipe on Ebay listed as a RARE Sasieni Four Dot Old England 109 xs. I wrote to the seller who almost certainly has no idea as they sell a lot of different products. explained that there was no such thing and that the pipe in question was an Old England and NOT a Four Dot. I got no response. This was about two weeks ago. The pipe is still listed. I probably won't follow through, but I sent them another message tonight hoping to encourage them to do the right thing and correct the listing. As I said, I doubt I'll follow through, but here is what I wrote:

"
Sir (or Ms), I contacted you once before. Perhaps you simply don't know (I'm hoping that's the case), but there is no such thing as a Sasieni Four Dot Old England. Sasieni Four Dot pipes were their top graded pipes. Old England pipes were made by Sasieni, but they were NOT Four Dots! Old England was one of Sasieni's many "seconds" lines, as was Mayfair, Friar, and many others. Your listing is fraudulent. A Sasieni Four Dot pipe is worth much, much more than an Old England pipe. Representing this pipe as a Four Dot is, at best, misleading and at worst intentional fraud. I hope this is not the case. I will have my answer when I see if you do the right thing and end this auction and relist with the correct information. If this title and description do not change, I will be forced to report the fraudulent activity to Ebay. I hope I don't have to do this, as I've never had to in the past."

Respectfully,
Tim Schiraldi

Thoughts?
Most of the eBay sellers I've contacted really don't care if the listing is inaccurate, or even dishonest, unless the issue in question is going to make their auction less successful.
Some are ignorant about what they're selling and others are just plain crooked. On the Interesting eBay Auctions thread I mentioned how Alfred Dreyfus pipes being sold as early Alfred Dunhill pipes. Informed of the error with hallmark images to support the concern, none of them fixed their auctions. When you're buying on eBay it's caveat emptor.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England

"

Respectfully,
Tim Schiraldi

Thoughts?
Good on you. I see stuff like this a lot, especially Peterson Pipes listed as having silver bands. People mistake the Shamrock, Lamb? and lighthouse marks as hallmarks because they’re in very similar lozenges to real hallmarks. It really bugs me when people do that and don’t like being corrected, I’m never rude and personally would be grateful for the lesson.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Funny thing, I caught a mistake in another, well respected, seller's add today. He immediately pulled the auction and replied with a "Thank you"! Goes to show...
Exactly. You can tell from the response whether it was a mistake or they are doing it on purpose.

I messaged a seller of a “pipe rack” that what he had was a nut tray ?
He thanked me and changed the listing immediately. Now that’s a good seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.