PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
It's always possible that someone had the wherewithal to save some seeds.
Or - The Standard Tobacco Company of Damascus, perhaps? :puffy:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Unfortunately it's not just the seed that is needed but the local soil, climate, and the processing technique.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
Even if a miracle happened and Assad and militants evaporated and a healthy crop was started, it's been a long time since there was fresh product. A whole generation has gotten used to the taste of Cyprian and would crave that flavor instead, the same way some of us long for our tobacco flavors of yore.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
With what's going on over there now I suspect Latakia is about the last thing anyone is thinking about. Smoking tobacco is something frowned in the Islamic Fundamentalist world. Being in that business could get you beheaded. So even if you had seeds you would never admit to it. I suspect it will a very long time before we see Syrian Latakia again, if ever.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Unfortunately it's not just the seed that is needed but the local soil, climate, and the processing technique.
That's kind of what I was thinking--big difference between growing grapes and making wine. When a tradition dies, how far can we go in reviving it? When the Old Masters are gone, their deep knowledge is gone--maybe forever.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I could see if someone brings stability to the region, which could very well be Russia, then farmers would go back to traditional crops like syrian lat. Perique was almost dead too. I'm sure someone has seeds, there may very well be plants still growing but not for commercial use in Syria.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Precisely so, not to mention the microflora involved in the fermentation. Even if nearly identical terroir could be cultivated, the woods and shrubs necessary for the fumigation would be problematic, not to mention whatever regulations are in place elsewhere that might present difficulties in being able to keep fires burning in barns for weeks at a time during curing season…
My supplier told with certainty that there will be no Syrian Latakia at any point in the foreseeable future. As with anything else, enjoy it while you can, then enjoy something else.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
It wasn't being grown before the recent disturbance. The civil war has nothing to do with why we get get Syrian latakia.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
To go along with what Mr. Pease said I

can and three words that cigar lovers will

understand "Cuban seed tobacco". Not bad

But certainly not the same

By a long shot .

Mike S.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
If it ain't for food for people or animals, say goodbye to it. Period. It would take a company to save seeds of the sort.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I wonder how much Syrian Latakia is left? Not in tins or pouches, but in a barn and/or warehouse ready to be blended?
How long will whatever's left, last?
How much Syrian latakia would a 50g tin contain?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
How much Syrian Latakia left? MacBaran estimated about 5 years worth last year. Syrian Latakia can only be made in Syria, not anywhere else. It's the combination of soil, climate, and local materials and resources that combine to make that weed. Enjoy it while you can. Don't plan on cellaring a lifetime supply unless you don't expect to hang around for long as the stuff doesn't have a long shelf life.

Status
Not open for further replies.