Hooray for Goopy over the Top Rum Soaked Aromatics!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Had a bowl of the bulk "Spiced Rum" stuff I get from the local B&M as the first bowl in my new Savinelli Qandale Rusticated 602. Holy cow did this stuff hit a large sweet spot. Had a good 25 minutes or so where the smoke was nice and cool, no gurgling, and the flavor...well the flavor was nice and sweet rum with a tough of savory spice over a background of mild tobacco and was very buttery!
It packed well even though it was a bit goopy, tamped great when needed, and didn't require a bunch of relights.
This type of blend might not be everyone's cup of tea but man it really was fantastic for me! I've had some good smokes before but it's rare that I get this perfect storm of enjoyment.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I've got some Sleepy Hollow on order from Straus tobacconist, which I expect to get in the mail next week. It's a pretty wet aromatic, but tastes fantastic - like pumpkin spice, cinnamon, and maybe a little vanilla. This is probably the only time I'll say that I'm looking forward to smoking a goopy aromatic :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I do like rum flavoring, but somewhat in the background, with great base tobaccos.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I enjoy a wide variety of them myself. Queen Anne's Revenge and Buttered Rum being among them.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Mac Baren's 7 seas regular was the first aromatic that I looked forward to smoking. It also helped me to nail down the best technique for me, which is to dry the tobacco for hours until it's no longer wet but still springy. I'd love to try sleepy hollow. Hopefully I didn't miss the train this year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Queen Anne's Revenge is an elegant aromatic, nice use of rum. I don't have it on hand but thoroughly enjoyed it when I did. Black Frigate is among the best, as everyone knows.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Tom, are you classifying Black Frigate as a "goopy, over the top aromatic"? That might get you in some trouble with the crew! :wink:
Every time One at of rum used as a flavouring in pipe tobacco, my thoughts always go to Black Frigate even though I've never tried it.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
And again, Black Frigate isn't an aromatic. Were that the case, all of the Navy Flakes with it would be considered aros as well.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
I guess there's really two types of aromatic. I would love to know the definitions because there are some heavily flavored blends containing Latakia and other naturally flavored tobaccos. 1792 flake, ennerdale. What's the difference with blockade runner and black frigate? It's been a while since I've had either, but I remember a pretty heavy rum flavoring, despite the lack of pg and Cavendish.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
BR=Rum Soaked Virginia

BF=BR+Orientals, Latakia, and unsweetened Black Cavendish

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Re: Sleepy Hollow - You can only buy Sleepy Hollow directly from Straus Tobacconist. Give them a call. They're blending it right now, and though you'll probably have to be on a waitlist for a couple weeks, you'll probably be able to get some.
Fair warning, at a cost of around $5 per ounce plus delivery it's probably overpriced, at as least compared to usual tobacco costs, but who cares. It's a once-a-year fun seasonal tobacco blended and sold by a small B&M for only a short time every year towards the end of the summer / early fall. Who knows how more years that may or may not last given the state of the regulatory environment. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Re: Sleepy Hollow - You can only buy Sleepy Hollow directly from Straus Tobacconist. Give them a call. They're blending it right now, and though you'll probably have to be on a waitlist for a couple weeks, you'll probably be able to get some.
Fair warning, at a cost of around $5 per ounce plus delivery it's probably overpriced, at as least compared to usual tobacco costs, but who cares. It's a once-a-year fun seasonal tobacco blended and sold by a small B&M for only a short time every year towards the end of the summer / early fall. Who knows how more years that may or may not last given the state of the regulatory environment. Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
Thank you very much! Call placed and order placed. 4oz shipped to my door for $24.99, $9 of which was shipping so not terribly priced.

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
Big fan of rum in my pipe tobacco.

Some of my personal favorites besides Sleepy Hollow:

Boswell Rum River, GH & Co. Rum Flake, MacBaren Plumcake, plus "Our" London Dock, Jefferson Street, and Sunset Rum - all from Milan Tobacconists.

My latest favorite - Decatur Dark Sweet Rum.

BTW - if you call Straus to get some Sleepy Hollow, I'd strongly recommend also buying their Wenceslas, a fabulous Holiday blend

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Goopy blends mess up my pipes. Everything from Molto Dolce to Captain Black Regular may be tasty, but the goop is simply not welcome in my pipes. Vanilla Rum blends are a mainstay in my tobacco selection, however I would pass on the goopy ones and stick to lightly flavored, tobacco forward blends that burn clean and leave no residue. Currently I'm enjoying Brigham Enterprises Inc. - Ripley Avenue (Anniversary). Sadly, Mac Baren - Navy Mixture was discontinued in 2014.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
And again, Black Frigate isn't an aromatic. Were that the case, all of the Navy Flakes with it would be considered aros as well
no offence intended captain! I've heard of Black Frigate being referred to as an Aro and the other way around. Its a little confusing for a landlubber like myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.