PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
I stopped at a smoke shop on my way home today and bought a pouch of CB cherry. It's honestly not nearly as bad as people say it is, I like it acually. It kinda tastes like Sweedish fish to me. I think I'm going to repent of my pipe snobbery and just admit I like classic drug store aros.

Reactions: clynch

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Hmm, this post made me think of Uhle’s again, they certainly have some interesting looking Aros;

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
It's not just any OTC codger blands. I have others in the house. Specifically Capt Black Royal I'm craving. Been lazy and my pipe smoking has gone down a lot. Mainly just smoke cigarettes to meet my nic fix. Then I tried about 6 months old Capt Black that was in my tobacco box. It was rather good. Had few more bowls and gave rest to my son since he got interested in pipe. Then suddenly, I'm getting this need to smoke Capt Black Royal. It's like not having Chinese food for a month and getting MSG withdrawal. So ordered 4 pouches. But it's not getting here fast enough! (Ordered it yesterday.)
I haven't had Captain Black, but lately I've been in a Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic kick. It's the only thing that I keep smoking over and over and usually I'm bouncing from blend to blend with every pipeful. Weird how that works out sometimes. Guess it's just best to embrace and enjoy it for awhile!

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
I really like CB Royal as well, but had to give it away due to the PC messed with me. I also prefer the taste of MB 7 Seas over CB anyway, so don't feel like I'm missing out.

Reactions: bullet08

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
@bullet08 Captain Black Royal (Blue pouch) is the same as Lane 1-Q in bulk, and the bulk 1-Q is generally cheaper. I verified this with Lane years ago (as have others). Many say the bulk is better as it is said to have less PG than the pouches.

@STP FYI, Capt Black White is Lane RLP-6 in bulk.
Capt. Black white does not taste the same to me as RLP-6. RLP-6 has a more fired tobacco taste than Capt. Black white. Royal and 1Q don't taste the same to me as well. I am a devoted 1Q smoker. Maybe it is just me.
jef

Reactions: bullet08

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
I returned to smoking CB after decades of shunning. In fact I snubbed all aromatics forever and a day. On CB, Brian Levine convinced me via his podcast to re-open my mind and as a result I do think the Original is much better than it was and also the Dark is really tasty as well. If you like aros then Boswell, Sutliff and The Country Squire tend to make the better ones IMO. I do silly aro reviews every Friday on FB for informational purposes and I've smoked quite a few including the CBs and other Lanes. Not really a big Lane fan to be honest, RLP-6 is a decent one though I must admit. Nothing wrong with liking aros and that's coming from a dire hard English/Scottish/Balkan guy like me.

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
Capt. Black white does not taste the same to me as RLP-6. RLP-6 has a more fired tobacco taste than Capt. Black white. Royal and 1Q don't taste the same to me as well. I am a devoted 1Q smoker. Maybe it is just me.
jef
I don't think they are the same either, close but there is a difference in the toppings.

Reactions: trouttimes

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I started smoking Captain Black a few years ago, mainly because it's readily available at my local grocer when I'm in a pinch for tobacco. I started with the regular (white bag) but discovered that I like the Gold a lot better. To me it has a very complex flavor that lingers on the tongue for a long time after my smoke is over. It's the perfect "lawnmower" blend that I smoke while I'm doing yard-work, or messing about the house. I would like to try the other Captain Black varieties but would need to mail-order them since none are available locally.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

romaso

Lifer
Dec 29, 2010
Pacific NW
jef
The company that makes them says they are the same. They would know, wouldn't they?

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I was smoking with a codger and he gave me some CB white, I was surprised how much I liked it. It’s a bit low in nic, so I cut 50% with Virginia or a VaPer to up the potency and lower the artificial chemical levels some.

Shortwave

Lurker
Sep 25, 2022
My first experience with pipe tobacco was captain black gold. Got it along with my first briar pipe as a Christmas gift from my uncle. Although I've moved away from only smoking aromatics, come the holidays I'll bring out a bit of captain black to remind me of those good memories.

Reactions: romaso and Kobold

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
The company that makes them says they are the same. They would know, wouldn't they?
I can tell a difference. They say BCA and Capt. Black white are the same too. I can see a difference between those two.
Jef

Last edited:

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
Granted I'm a newbie, but with both the Captain Black and 1-Q I thought the flavor was lacking. Not a whole lot there. The room note was lovely though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Granted I'm a newbie, but with both the Captain Black and 1-Q I thought the flavor was lacking. Not a whole lot there. The room note was lovely though.
Yeah, most aromatics won't deliver much flavor unless you have quite a bit of experience, sometimes years, smoking a pipe. Do you retrohale?