PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I don't normally mention deaths like this because most people mainly focus on names they know, famous, household names, entertainers and the like, but I felt this man, probably unknown to all of us, deserved mention for his staggering contributions.
Robert Taylor, 85 when he passed away on the 13th, was an American computer scientist and internet pioneer, recipient of the National Medal of Technology and the Draper Prize.
Robert William Taylor was one of the true pioneers of the Internet we use today, who led teams that made major contributions to personal computer technology and other related technologies as well. He was director of ARPA's Information Processing Techniques Office from 1965 through 1969, founder and later manager of Xerox PARC's Computer Science Laboratory from 1970 through 1983, and founder and manager of Digital Equipment Corporation's Systems Research Center until 1996.
The world would likely not be the world it is today and we might not be sitting here communicating as we are now, if not for the work and many contributions of Bob Taylor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Many of the contributors to the computer revolution ended up with little or no fame, even some of the millionaires and billionaires (and some of those probably like it that way). Some of the obvious people at the top ended up superstars, Gates and Jobs and Wosniak. I'm no techy, as all know, but I thought Gates was much more of a marketer and corporate politician than a computer mind, though he certainly knew his programming. He once told Jobs (reportedly) that Jobs was suing him because he'd stolen someone else's idea before he, Jobs, did.

Status
Not open for further replies.