Honeydew. Is There A Meaning Apart From A Melon Flavor?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
The description of Robert McConnell's Scottish Cake reads "Scottish Cake - this ready rubbed flake is a great favorite for young and old. Dark brown in its color the seasoned pieces may directly be tampered into the pipe or even lightly rubbed become to a Honeydew."
What is meant by "a Honeydew?"

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Couldn't tell you, though in the Sherlock Holmes story The Adventure of the Cardboard Box, there is a reference to a 'Honeydew tobacco box'. Likely not related.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Craig, we must be on the same page brother. I've been smoking SVH for the past month and really enjoy the blend! It's been my summer surprise. However, I have not been able to find a solid answer as to what honeydew means other than a "sweetness" in the blend. And don't get started trying to find the definition of "Scottish Blend", that is an even bigger rabbit hole. I would love to know more.
BTW, The Country Squire Radio Show did a review on Honeydew blends about 2-3 weeks ago. It was helpful, but not definitive. But I did learn what "in bond" means on the tin. That was a nugget.
RNCDZoj.jpg

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
According to Oxford English Dictionary: Definition of honeydew in English: 1.1 literary An ideally sweet substance.

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
You’re very welcome. It was also on my mind as I’ve been smoking GH Rich Dark Honeydew, knowing that it’s not supposed to taste like melons!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Honeydew
also honey-dew, 1570s, "sticky sweet substance found in small drops on trees and plants," from honey (n.) + dew (n.); Similar formation in Dutch honigdaauw, German Honigthau.
-Etymology Dictionary

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Honeydew descriptions have different meanings from different blenders. The English have been using the term forever to describe the cut which is more of a shag than a ribbon. The Irish definition means Virginia tobacco that has been dark stoved and fully rubbed out. American blenders tend to use the term meaning a light and sweet Virginia. Farmers use the word to describe a melon. A famous author of steamy love stories (whose name I forget), describes a woman's kiss as sweet and soft as honeydew. Down here in Texas we just say that a wife's list of things she needs done ASAP that she hands her husband is a honeydew list (honey, you need to dew this and dew that). I get lots of those myself. )-:

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I always thought Honeydew was the the sweet drop of juice that came out of a Honeysuckle bloom. I always assumed any blend mentioning Honeydew had some sweet topping applied.

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
Nothing to do with taste, one of my favorite mclleland blends, honeydew is a dark broken flake. While it does have a sweet taste it has nothing to do with melons. Sad, I would totally buy a melon flavored tobacco. I love melons. Mmmmm....melons.

Per conversation while visiting other states and Farmer’s Markets, even the melon, every region has a different concept of what a honeydew melon and even a cantaloupe is. Some regions call what my region calls a cantaloupe a honeydew, and others refer to a musk melon as a honeydew. So, what someone in New York refers to a honeydew, might be what I would call a muskmelon or a cantaloupe. I think the terms is just a descriptor, and not an exact melon variety. I was told that even some seed packet companies would have different names for different regions. But, as grocery stores get more corporate and nationally consistent, we will see musk melons getting labeled as cantaloupes and vice versa, depending on the regions.

Status
Not open for further replies.