PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
Hi, just a quick question: I’m cleaning my pipes about once a week, rotating through them for each smoke so one or two aren’t getting more use than the others. I was wondering if applying honey, or something similar like maple syrup or Blue Agave syrup, to the bowl is a good idea or not as part of the cleaning process?

I have heard people say that applying honey to a new bowl helps build up the cake, though I’m sure there will be different opinions on this efficacy of this -would applying honey help in the life of the pipe if applied each clean or will it be detrimental?

Is it worth honeying up one bowl and see what happens? Does anyone else do this?

thanks for your time.

Skapie

Might Stick Around
Sep 5, 2017
NSW, Australia
I’ve never tried honey in the bowl of a new pipe. I have, however, tried sugar water (sugar being C12H22O11, ie once the water is gone, a lot of carbon left over), and it was the hottest, worst tasting smoke of my life. I can’t imagine honey being a lot better, but probably somewhat.

Cake builds on its own quickly enough that I really don’t see the need for other things in the bowl.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I seem to remember that they use that function, when the pipe is new. Mixing ash with honey for the walls. But I never heard to do every time you clean the pipe. Anyway, if it suits you, go ahead.

Reactions: Dudditz

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
If you want to make pipe smoking a chore instead of a pleasure, go ahead and put honey, maple syrup, mashed potatoes and gravy and prune juice every time you clean your pipe. Or you can enjoy the pipe smoking experience and when done flush the pipe out with warm water and dry with pipe cleaner and paper towel. It's your pipe and your choice.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
So, I always think about the old timers using pipes they bought at the drug stores. For them, pipe smoking was something they did while doing something else. Maybe mowing the lawn, fixing a flat, grilling hamburgers, washing the new Studebaker, after the picnic in the Smokys, walking the dog, spanking the unruly boy, cleaning out the gutters, repairing the child's bicycle, and relaxing on a Sunday afternoon. They had no one to talk to that understood them. They didn't understand themselves.

Mar 1, 2014
It can't hurt, I like to use a sugar coating to start the cake in some pipes, even though they all get washed with alcohol after every bowl, I like to think the bit of carbon saturating the wood helps.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I use a very thin smear of honey on new pipes because I enjoy the tradition.
It can add a little grippy on the walls for carbon to hang on to, but it is marginal
On a pipe that's already been smoked, I don't see any benefit.
But if you're struggling with a mischievous pipe, "all's fair" as the Bard wrote
Applying honey after every cleaning would eventually create a real mess, I'm thinking

Last edited:

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I am in the little to no cake group and rinse my pipe with water one way or another after each smoke unless doing back to back of the same blend (becoming more common these days).

I prefer to have a clean pipe that is as neutral as possible so that I can better enjoy the characteristics of the tobacco blends. I do dedicate pipes to certain genres and have a few pipes that are for specific favorite blends. Again, my goal is the enjoyment of the blend, not anything extra on the pipe as far as flavor.

Everybody has their thing though, so experiment and finds what works best for you. There is no wrong answer if YOU like it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think honey may help new pipe smokers by preventing them for puffing too vigorously and burning up a new chamber on their pipe, but mostly it is an old folk ritual that isn't needed, certainly not after cleanings. Once you learn not to puff wildly in a cloud of smoke, you shouldn't have a problem, only if the briar has a flaw.