PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
A very hearty soup for a cold night. Great for vegans too, though I am not one. Here 'tis:

1 medium onion, chopped
3 or 4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp. dry basil
½ tsp. dry oregano
½ tsp. dry rosemary
½ tsp. dry thyme leaves
2 or 3 stalks celery, diced
2 lg. carrots, diced
3 cups cabbage, shredded
1 turnip, peeled and diced (optional)
¼ cup barley
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 small or medium zucchini, sliced and halved
2 medium potatoes, diced
½ cup macaroni
1 16 oz. can red kidney beans & liquid
1 16 oz. can canellini beans & liquid
salt & pepper to taste

Saute onion in oil for five minutes. Add carrot and celery, and sauté. Add cabbage, garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, turnip, and barley. Saute briefly, and cover with water, bringing to boil. Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Add zucchini, potatoes, tomato paste, and the liquid from both beans. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cover for 5 minutes. Add macaroni, then cover and simmer a final 10 minutes. Turn off heat and add beans, leaving uncovered so potatoes don't get overcooked.

Note: Check the cook time on your macaroni. The zucchini and potatoes get 15 minutes of cook time, regardless of when the macaroni gets added. Mine just happens to require 10 minutes to get fully cooked, but others may require less time. You can also cook the beans from scratch, rather than from a can, but these still wait until the end to go in. Bon appetit!

Afterwards? A nice bowl of Nightcap, I say.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
A very hearty soup for a cold night. Great for vegans too, though I am not one. Here 'tis:

1 medium onion, chopped
3 or 4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp. dry basil
½ tsp. dry oregano
½ tsp. dry rosemary
½ tsp. dry thyme leaves
2 or 3 stalks celery, diced
2 lg. carrots, diced
3 cups cabbage, shredded
1 turnip, peeled and diced (optional)
¼ cup barley
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
1 small or medium zucchini, sliced and halved
2 medium potatoes, diced
½ cup macaroni
1 16 oz. can red kidney beans & liquid
1 16 oz. can canellini beans & liquid
salt & pepper to taste

Saute onion in oil for five minutes. Add carrot and celery, and sauté. Add cabbage, garlic, herbs, salt, pepper, turnip, and barley. Saute briefly, and cover with water, bringing to boil. Cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes. Add zucchini, potatoes, tomato paste, and the liquid from both beans. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cover for 5 minutes. Add macaroni, then cover and simmer a final 10 minutes. Turn off heat and add beans, leaving uncovered so potatoes don't get overcooked.

Note: Check the cook time on your macaroni. The zucchini and potatoes get 15 minutes of cook time, regardless of when the macaroni gets added. Mine just happens to require 10 minutes to get fully cooked, but others may require less time. You can also cook the beans from scratch, rather than from a can, but these still wait until the end to go in. Bon appetit!

Afterwards? A nice bowl of Nightcap, I say.
Nice recipe! ?
No pic?!?!?!

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
Made a beautiful vegetarian Minestrone last week for dinner, added some grated Parm so it wasn’t vegan (sorry BROBS). Usually stick to one starch (potatoes or ditalini) and whatever suitable veg we have on hand (this time zucchini, green beans, Swiss chard) plus the usual beans, carrots, onions, tomatoes. If you’ve never tried it, Minestrone with fresh pesto (Genoese style) will blow your balls off.

Anyone know the difference between Minestrone vs Vegetable Soup? What makes minestrone, minestrone? Is it the herbs?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Made a beautiful vegetarian Minestrone last week for dinner, added some grated Parm so it wasn’t vegan (sorry BROBS). Usually stick to one starch (potatoes or ditalini) and whatever suitable veg we have on hand (this time zucchini, green beans, Swiss chard) plus the usual beans, carrots, onions, tomatoes. If you’ve never tried it, Minestrone with fresh pesto (Genoese style) will blow your balls off.

Anyone know the difference between Minestrone vs Vegetable Soup? What makes minestrone, minestrone? Is it the herbs?
I think the dichotomy between minestrone and regular vegetable soup lies both in the type of vegetables used, as well as the broth base being augmented with tomato paste. Since there's no "set" way to make minestrone, it probably can just take whatever vegetables are available at the thyme. :LOL:

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

It may also have something to do with the beans. Some minestrone soups have those gigantic white beans in them (not sure what they are called, but they are much bigger than canellini beans).

p.s. Grated parm is a nice addition, but I myself would only do that in a vegetarian soup (I don't mix mammal meat and dairy).

Reactions: BROBS

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
One of my favorite soups. I was always told that if you add meat, preferably sausage, it becomes Pasta Fazool (Paste e Fagioli), or so my family calls it ??... ha

• Love
Reactions: weezell

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Update: Due to Whole Foods and Sprouts both being out of organic cabbage, I decided to substitute kale in its place. All I can say is:

seinfeld.jpg
SO much better! So, my advice is to leave out the cabbage, and chop up green kale, about 3 or 4 full leaves, and discard the stems. It can be added at the same time as the cabbage went in. Of course, if you choose to ignore my suggestion, then it becomes:

soup.jpg
NEXT!!!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.