PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Here is the next in a series of pressing experiments that I'm doing.
The press is simple: Short section of PVC, two hardwood (oak) stoppers and a bar clamp.

The entire process is as follows:
Weigh and mix ingredients in a large bowl.
Add a small amount of sugar syrup, rum, etc... mix and wait for it to infuse though the dry tobacco.
Stuff it into the pvc- stopper the ends and use a small bit of parchment paper to cover the stoppers.
Apply bar clamp and compress.
I like to hold it under pressure for a few weeks.
There is no reason that a person couldn't make their own plug from premade blends- if you like plug tobacco. As I do.

Attachments

• 20200322_084338[1].jpg
    20200322_084338[1].jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 20200322_084615_013[1].jpg
    20200322_084615_013[1].jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Here is the next in a series of pressing experiments that I'm doing.
The press is simple: Short section of PVC, two hardwood (oak) stoppers and a bar clamp.

The entire process is as follows:
Weigh and mix ingredients in a large bowl.
Add a small amount of sugar syrup, rum, etc... mix and wait for it to infuse though the dry tobacco.
Stuff it into the pvc- stopper the ends and use a small bit of parchment paper to cover the stoppers.
Apply bar clamp and compress.
I like to hold it under pressure for a few weeks.
There is no reason that a person couldn't make their own plug from premade blends- if you like plug tobacco. As I do.
WELL DONE!!!

Gubbins

Might Stick Around
Feb 5, 2020
Looks and sounds great! What kind of wood did you use to make the latakia?

Gubbins

Might Stick Around
Feb 5, 2020
Are you cutting up the tobacco before pressing or layering the whole leaves? Thanks for sharing!

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Are you cutting up the tobacco before pressing or layering the whole leaves? Thanks for sharing!
I have been roughly shredding the leaves and removing stem pieces before mixing and pressing.

There is a lengthy thread over at the FTT forum where I and others list the various wood. In short: Oak bark, Rosemary California Bay Laurel, Honeysuckle stems and others.

Syrian latakia accounts have historically been make and most wood and scrubs are available locally. With the notable exceptions of Pistachio and the Mastic tree.

Last edited:

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
So the real question is, how does it taste? We're gonna need independent verification. I'll fall on that grenade.
The latakia or the plug? The homemade latakia in really good though different from Cypriot. Syrian...I couldnt say. I've never tried it. I was too late to the game. It is made from Bursa, oriental. Fire cured for 8 weeks. Very labor intensive- keeping the smoker unit lit and fed with fuel for that long.

The plug is very good and I,m confident will get better with age (if it lasts long). It is pretty lat heavy. Very smokable, though.

Reactions: chopper and kurtbob

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Very cool, ready for smoking neat or for mixing, and will keep better than loose tobacco by far. It takes a little more time to prep than loose tobacco, but retains more flavor for longer. Also, in my opinion, like coin/flake/rope, it gives a longer smoke in small bowl pipes.

Reactions: docpierce

docpierce

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2020
Nice! But that sound hugely expensive to make. Was it?
Expensive? Not dollar wise. But I enjoy growing my own tobacco. Latakia starts with using various oriental varieties. Time wise, I suppose it was expensive.

I air cured Bursa leaves and hung it in a re-purposed smoker with a metal can on top. I hung the leaves inside the can. Here is a pic of the lat about half way through the smoking process. also -some of the Ca Bay Laurel I used for smoker fuel.

Attachments

• 20191012_084450[1].jpg
    20191012_084450[1].jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190922_150804[1].jpg
    20190922_150804[1].jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 28
Jan 5, 2020
Summer is just around the corner, you should fill your press and set it on the dashboard of your car for a couple of weeks and let it bake to see how the heat affects the plug.
I did something similar with a plug I made, I left it out in the sun for a few weeks and it is dense like 3Ps plug. Gave it a turn Of the clamp every day and it turned out amazing.

Reactions: Casual

Tommy Boy

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2020
Michigan
That is cool to see. Its nice when you can take pride in a job well done. Is this your first attempt or have you been making plugs for awhile?

Status
Not open for further replies.