PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Addle brained, I tuned in last Sunday and saw the end of a golf tournament on CBS which will carry the Bowl at 6:30 this Sunday, February 7. Because my wife and I met (though we were married long after) in 1966 at University of Missouri, we'll definitely be pulling for Kansas City. I'm always amazed by Tom Brady, but I can't abandon my wife's home folks. They all live in deeply rural farm country up near the Iowa border and the Mississippi River, though various younger family members have lived in KC.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Homebound in more way than one, as Tampa Bay will be the first team to ever play a super bowl in their home stadium! As a Seahawks fan, I couldn't care less who wins, but the lover of good stories in me swings my vote slightly in favor of Tampa Bay. Say what you will about Tom Brady, but we are likely witnessing the tail end of a football career that will never be rivaled again.

I also have a soft spot for teams that suck ass for 20 years and then suddenly have a chance, so I guess Go Bucs.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Homebound in more way than one, as Tampa Bay will be the first team to ever play a super bowl in their home stadium! As a Seahawks fan, I couldn't care less who wins, but the lover of good stories in me swings my vote slightly in favor of Tampa Bay. Say what you will about Tom Brady, but we are likely witnessing the tail end of a football career that will never be rivaled again.

I also have a soft spot for teams that suck ass for 20 years and then suddenly have a chance, so I guess Go Bucs.
And the fans that stick/stuck with them.

Reactions: danimalia and edger

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You are right!
Who likes the Seahawks? lol
Keep on hanging in there.
They aren't shabby.
I do! My dad was born and raised in WA, and I went to college there so I've been on the ship since I was born. They are also geographically closest to Alaska FWIW.

Shit, 20 years ago we'd have called this one of our best seasons ever! Hahaha, my whole childhood every Sunday was spent watching the Seahawks get dumped on.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Addle brained, I tuned in last Sunday and saw the end of a golf tournament on CBS which will carry the Bowl at 6:30 this Sunday, February 7. Because my wife and I met (though we were married long after) in 1966 at University of Missouri, we'll definitely be pulling for Kansas City. I'm always amazed by Tom Brady, but I can't abandon my wife's home folks. They all live in deeply rural farm country up near the Iowa border and the Mississippi River, though various younger family members have lived in KC.
Not a fan of Brady, albeit the GOAT. Looking forward to KC spoiling his pursuit of seven.

eslavs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 19, 2019
Sarasota, Florida
As a resident of the Tampa Bay area, and a 20 year Bucs fan.....I think Tampa makes even more history and wins at home.

I have to say, even with the odd year it's been, it's pretty freaking cool to be playing in the SB right here in Tampa. We kinda joked about it in the beginning of the season, and to see it actually happen is a little surreal.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
For many of us in Boston the upcoming game brings a strange mixture of excitement and melancholy. Twenty years of one of the greatest, almost unbelievable sports stories in Brady a "just a guy" 6th round draft pick who steps in for an injured star quarterback and becomes the greatest ever. Somewhat analagous to the Gehrig story, hopefully without the tragic and sad ending. So, lots of us here were always really just Brady fans anyway and now we would love to see the guy win again even it it makes us wince a little.
On the other hand, Mahomes is the future of football and is a mesmerizing player. He also seems, like Brady, to be a good person.

Reactions: danimalia

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Having lived to see the Chicago baseball teams each finally win the series, I believe anything can happen. Brady is almost robotic and seems to savor getting in improbable spots and forging through. His emotions are not like other quarterbacks or players, but he can't do this forever. No retirement crisis for him; he'll just do with investment what he's done with the football. Either way, it should be an exciting game; I don't think it will be one of these plodding low-scoring defensive battles. One team will have an especially good day.

Reactions: danimalia
Jun 23, 2019
Honestly, kind of looking forward to this low-pressure no party year. Might actually get to watch some football and not the half-time concert/commercials...

Why even call it a Super Bowl party at this point if all people do is talk through the actual game and then shush everyone from talking about the game during the commercials. What is going on?

Reactions: danimalia and edger

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm interested in the commercials to the extent that they are the most expensive TV ads and therefore are attempts at larger messages, which are kind of interesting in a sociological way. The Budweiser ads, which we won't have this year, are chock full of sentimental charm. The half-time shows are always nauseating to me, sort of the worst of celebrity culture, over-produced, burying any musical talent on hand under a mass of light shows, fireworks, and dumb-ass strutting around and ass-wagging. Any artist who doesn't ever participate gets extra points. But for watching the game, a night at home with spouse and family is all it needs. That's usually how I've seen it anyway. If you are distracted by partying, you'll likely miss the key plays anyway, though you'll see them on the replays, it's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.