PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
APRIL 11 2013

Seeds arrived, and I ran out and bought some essentials. Seeds started by placing them (6 per pod) in moist peat pod, and then leaving covered in my closet to germinate.

6743_432510006842383_440567711_n.jpg

561915_432510046842379_570483791_n.jpg

APRIL 20 2013

Seeds have sprouted, moved out of closet under a grow light and humidifier.

532880_437245959702121_1747126112_n.jpg

547256_437245799702137_685425483_n.jpg

310708_437245823035468_290278399_n.jpg

will continue to update as progress is made.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
How did you educate yourself to do this? Will you be growing it in a hydroponic system or indoor system with grow lights such as MH and HPS lights? Just curious how you are approaching this. I would be interested in trying this as well.
-Frank

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Kinda just spent a good deal of time online reading various "how-to's" on growing tobacco. This is my first attempt so it's all trial and error right now. Hopefully this thread will be a success story, and I plan on documenting the steps as I go.
One thing I found out, the Peat pods I used are not ideal for tobacco growers. It seems most people use miracle grow potting soil and small starter pots. Maybe I'll do that differently next time around. I still have two tobacco types I haven't planted yet so we'll see.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wonder if some of the deposed tobacco farmers in my part of the country could coach people on growing

the plants. A person would have to be a natural teacher, talker, and salesperson, but it seems like not a few

of these gents and women fill that bill. This is growing it more as a garden or hydroponic crop rather than a

field crop, so that adjustment would have to be made. Please keep us posted on your progress. It might

be easier to learn this process anew rather than trying to adapt from farming it to "hand" growing it. Curing

will be a whole separate art, I guess.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
As long as leaf is not taxed beyond reach, I wouldn't bother. I want to relax with a pipe, not farm tobacco. But

if need be, I am educable. However, if you have the time, growing leaf is worth the effort just as an experiment. I

hear the tobacco pickers get it nic jolt just handling the leaves. I used to see the harvesters out there on the

picking machines in the dark with the floodlights on the tractors going. Looked like a ship making port.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I grew up on a tobacco farm, If you can grow tomatoes then you can grow tobacco as they like the same conditions. Curing can be tricky, we flue cured ours and my grandfather was in charge of it. I wish I had paid more attention to exact temps and things but I was a teenager at the time and had other things on my mind. I have no exp. with air curing. I plan to grow my own next year. This year I am fixing a place to do the curing and will be getting some uncured green leaf from a local grower to try curing and to try processing in to a smokeable pipe tobacco. Anything I learn I will try to pass on here.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Me too! I just got a hydroponics system and it has crossed my mind. At the moment bell peppers and iceberg lettuce is growing in it.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Sorry, had a camping trip this weekend and was unavailable to answer questions or respond to comments. Here are some pics, just to keep the thread interesting.. 8)

8670383738_9eee517b96_z.jpg

8670386794_af54a9724f_z.jpg

8669350619_df772e3f65_z.jpg

"Why did you choose these tobaccos to grow?"

I chose two Turkish tabacs, because I really dig Turkish tobacco. I work all the damn time these days and plan on rolling my own small cigarillos that I can smoke on smoke breaks, and Turkish tabac seemed a very good choice.
I wanted a Virginia Gold, but the site I ordered my Tobacco from didn't have any Virginias that I could find. I did go with the Connecticut Broadleaf though, which should be a good evening smoke, and provide good leaves to roll my tabac in.
I also wanted to try some native American rustica. Living where I do, it seemed appropriate to try some of the Southwestern tribe's tobacco mixed with the Eastern United States tobacco. The Hopi Indian Tobacco fit the bill nicely, and in theory, will blend well with the lower nicotine content Connecticut Broadleaf very nicely.
The Aztec Tobacco I got just because it sounded neat.
"And do you mind giving us an idea where you live? I'm curious about climate."

Northeastern Oklahoma, right at the heart of the Cherokee Nation. Tahlequah, if you want specifics.
"I'm wondering about the CT broadleaf you're growing. That's a shade-grown tobacco, isn't it? What are you going to make your tent(s) out of?"

Actually, that's the first I heard about C.B. being shade grown. Like I said, this is all experiment and trial and error this time around. I guess I had better research each plant individually rather than researching generic "how to grow tabac" like I have been. I guess if I need to keep the C.B. shaded, along the south side of the house with a small awning made from tarp should work well. I'll keep in mind to update this thread with the specifics on that when it comes time.
"As long as leaf is not taxed beyond reach, I wouldn't bother. I want to relax with a pipe, not farm tobacco."

Lol, well I recently discovered how much enjoyment I get from gardening, and thought this sounded a nice way to combine two interests. Actually, gardening and pipe smoking are very compatible hobbies. Both are centered around patience, both take time to get right, both give you a sense of calm.. I think every pipe smoker should grow at least ONE plant, regardless of what type of plant it is.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Actually, gardening and pipe smoking are very compatible hobbies. Both are centered around patience, both take time to get right, both give you a sense of calm.. I think every pipe smoker should grow at least ONE plant, regardless of what type of plant it is.
I like this. Been thinking about starting up a vegetable garden, this may have just been the final push I needed.

paintedklown

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2013
Great thread and cool idea OP. I will definitely be keeping an eye on this thread to see how everything comes along. I have to admit, I find it inspiring/interesting to see someone attempt to take on such a task. Perhaps it's just me, but I think I would find the task to be too much work, and too "mind boggling" for me to attempt.
Good luck, and please keep us updated on your progress. :)

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
May 8, 2013 UPDATE

216258_445172418909475_1510175044_n.jpg

431857_445172455576138_1846897761_n.jpg

944544_445172448909472_57037681_n.jpg

262566_445172435576140_398225399_n.jpg

Stopped using the humidifier, as it wasn't keeping the plants as moist as I hoped it would. We just water the plants twice a day now.
The biggest difficulty so far has been keeping the plants towards the edge of the planter moist enough. The plants in the middle have taken off while the plants along the outside edge has been slower growing. I figure the water is seeping through the bottom of the peat-pods and pooling up in the middle of the planter, causing the middle plants to receive more water than the plants at the edge. I'm not sure how to correct that, but watering the outside heavily and the inside lightly seems to have balanced it out nicely.
I also had to move the "Sunlight" down off the wall closer to the plants. You notice in the pic above it is resting on books placed at either end of the planter. The light being so far away was causing the sprouts to grow "stringy" with long, weak shoots and heavy broad leaves, like vines instead of bushy and stout like they should be. After a bit of research I found that this is a common problem with indoor grown tabac, and is easily overcome by moving the light closer and moving it out slowly as the plants grow.
Just 3 days shy of a full month since placing the seeds in the peat-pods. 8)

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
A couple of pointers to correct your issues of leggy stems and the outside plants not growing as fast. Fluorescent lamps produce little heat so you can move them much closer and you should see much more compact growth that is very bushy. You may also want to consider adding at least one more fixture above and even on the sides and use fans they will not only control temperature but strengthen the stems. Also you may want to try rotating the outer plants with the plants in the center of the tray to get more even growth. Are you planning on transplanting these outdoors? There really is no replacement for the sun :)

ETA: They do look very healthy! Just be aware that after they have used up the nutrients from the seed they will need outside sources of nutrients otherwise you will start to see deficiencies.

koscak

Lurker
Nov 26, 2012
Hello, this is my badischer geudertheimer 2 monts and 4 days old , i have only one problem no direct sunlight only 1-2 hours of sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.