PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2015
If I am intending on blending some tobacco, do you think it beneficial to make sure the components are all at an optimum moisture before doing so?
I have some blending perique, for example, that is pretty dern dry and I was wondering if it would be worth it to hydrate it first, or if I could just chuck it in with my other components and they'd eventually equilibrate?
Any reason to take the extra step?

A few questions and assumptions first... I assume that you mean mixing it with a Virginia. Shredded Virginia? Is the Virginia already moist, or dry like a tobacco processor would get? Are you pressing it, or rolling it into twists? Is the Virginia (or blending leaf) palatable already?
If you are talking about working with whole leaf, then you'd just be mixing dry components together, which isn't going to meld the flavors very much, very fast. You can mix these, but you'd probably want to let the flavors meld for a much greater length of time.

Also, your aspirations... If you prefer C&D style Vapers, you might go for a dryer blend. However, if you prefer a more refined melded flavor, you might spritz it with distilled water or steam. I prefer steam. But, then you have to contend with mold issues, especially if jarred for aging. I have found that whole leaf will mold pretty quickly if just water is used. Honey, food quality mold inhibitors, and citric acid seems to work best for me. Of course the latter two are in their experimental phases for me.
Pressing or twisting, you will have to do something to rehydrate the leaf. Plugs just don't stick, and twists won't even roll correctly till rehydrated. Plugs need the natural stickiness of the rehydrated natural sugars to meld to stay in plug form. Otherwize, you just end up with a stack of well ironed leaf that falls apart.
If you are talking about a tinned blending perique mixed with a tinned Virginia, then you can get away with just mixing these and processing them as you like.
I will add this thread to my favs, to see what others suggest also. Maybe I can add a new trick to my bag as well. :puffy:

May 4, 2015
I was specifically talking about blending "ready made" components at this time, yes.
Just wondering if I blended a dry component with a component that contained an "ok" moisture content if there'd be enough moisture in aggregate to carry the whole crew, so to speak, and if there would be any implications on how the melded flavors might end up.
Very good supplemental info though regarding whole leaf blending. Someday - when I have the time!

well, if you rehydrate perique, especially tinned blending perique, you run the risk of mold. In my experience blending perique molds really fast if you even look at it wrong. But, since you are adding it to an already cased Virginia, I would say that there is most likely some mold inhibitor in there. It also really depends on what the Virginia is (or the blend that you are adding it to). Your best bet is to experiment. Try mixing up a small quantity, and giving it some weeks to meld and blend flavors. I have had a lot of luck just mixing 5100 with some (right out of the can) perique to get a great smoke. Pretty easy work.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Tom-
For five bucks you can get a hygrometer from Amazon, and that will answer your questions on moisture definitively. I often throw damp tobacco in with dry and mix; within a few hours (or overnight) it's come to an equilibrium.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Cosmic, wouldn't blending perique from a blender such as C&D have a mold inhibitor on it? I've got some that's wet, I like to dry it to smoke it or work with it. Not that I do much blending just adding a pinch here and there.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I've done a few experiments with blending straight Virginias with Perique and have had much success.
My last was 2016 Christmas Cheer and McClelland's blending Perique. I put the mixture in my super strength press for about three weeks. That was ample time for the moisture content to equalise and allow the flavours to meld.
What came out was an almost black brick of tobacco that was the devil to pick apart but it did (and still does) smoke wonderfully.
Regards,
Jay.

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
Mawnanmiff, if you don’t mind sharing, what were the percentages for that mixture of Christmas Cheer and perique? I recently got an eight ton press rigged up and would like to try some recipes other than my own. My first “puck” came out wonderfully for my tastes.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Briarbuda, if I recall it was something like a 85/15 mix or not very far off. Thing is do a trial version with a lower percentage of Perique and build it up until you get the blend that tastes the best for you.
Whatever you do, please keep the forum updated so as future blenders can pick up tips.
Good luck chum :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.