PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Made my first stop at the newly renovated Lukas Wine and Spirits today. (sort of a booze superstore) I always get a once a year bottle or two near Christmas, and I love to check out the REALLY good stuff that I could never buy. I'm checking out the single malt Scotch aisle,(every bit of 30 feet long on three shelves) and I see the Laphroaig name. There were 2 bottles of 32 year old and the price was $1111.00... 8O

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
A bit out of my price range! I like to have a decent bottle of Port around this time of year. Graham's Six Grapes is this year's bottle. I usually spring for a bottle of Plymouth Gin too. It makes a great Martini. I'm not a big drinker of brown spirits, mostly I drink Gin and that bottle of Plymouth is about $36.00 here in Ohio.
Mike S.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
A well stocked liquor store is like Disneyland for me! And nothing says Merry Christmas quite like a trip down the Scotch isle. ... of course, I try to keep my purchases around the $999.99 dollar range; no reason to show off at the checkout.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
We received holiday gift cards to Safeway this year from my employer which scored me a bottle of Macallan 12yo Single Malt. :)
macob.12yo.jpg

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I like Laphroaig quarter cask, cask strength! It costs about $75. It's a smokey, peaty single malt. My wife says it gives me bad breath.
My more affordable blend of choice is J&B.I make a mixed drink called a Rusty Nail as my holiday drink. It calls for Drambuie scotch, lemon twist and ice. I have a mandarin orange tree so I use those for the twist. The orange flavor really makes it special to me.

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I'm a fan of Laphroaig's Quarter Cask myself, and I'm really excited today I picked Oban's quarter cask version, Oban Little Bay. I also picked up a bottle of Warre's LBV port and a bottle of Gran Duque D'Alba Spanish brandy for Chistmas Eve and Day. I forgot the champagne and gin for French 75s for New Years....so back to the store Monday.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I drink both Lagavulin 16 and Laphroaig 10 as my go to whiskys and I had a chance to sample the Laphroaig 30 once, it was probably the best whisky I've ever tasted and I'm a whisky geek. It tasted like smoky liquid leather, rather an essence of what a well worn leather chair from an old British gentlemen's club might smell like after 30 years of tobacco smoke and whisky drops have seeped into the pores of the leather.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Congrats on that Macallan!!! It's by far my favorite scotch!! On my bucket list is buy a bottle of Macallan 30yrs or older.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Doing the deed now. The sister like wine. The brother brews his own. Our vet likes small batch beer. My cousin likes chocolate beers. Onwards to the great 101 bottles of Kent! My old stomping grounds!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I used to buy for guests. But I would get a multitude of excuses for not having just a dram of scotch or whiskey. Usually the beer drinkers. My BIL would guzzle, so I only keep a bit just for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We bought a friend an $80 single malt Scotch for his birthday and he shared it, and it was worth it. I only regret I didn't write down the brand and years it aged. It lived up to its price, which is sometimes not so true. Regular grade Scotch irritates my plumbing, so when I drink whiskey, I usually drink bourbon.

Status
Not open for further replies.