PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
A follow-up thought:

If somebody wanted to admit that most of the things I identified as behaviors of a "hobbyist" do in fact constitute a hobby, and yet wanted to distinguish pipe smoking itself from these things, I could appreciate that. And I'd seriously consider agreeing.

In other words, if somebody denied that his pipe smoking is a hobby, but freely confessed that his pipe collecting is a hobby, that may be a fair distinction.

I've sometimes been annoyed at those who list "watching movies" among their hobbies, because it's purely consumptive. Not remotely productive.

If somebody feels that way about pipe smoking itself, I get that.

(However, if you're into sampling and reviewing tobaccos, you'd be harder pressed to distinguish that hobby from your pipe smoking.)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The pipe smoker for whom pipe smoking is not a hobby thoughtlessly stuffs his inexpensive pipe with his preferred tobacco and rarely if ever gives it a moment's thought.
That's me as expensive is relative. For me, I wouldn't consider a $200 pipe expensive, just the average price of the ride.

But saying, "Pipe smoking is not a hobby for me" on a pipe smoking forum is like saying, "I cannot speak English." It disproves itself!
Actually I joined the forum to discuss restoring damaged pipes with a now passed member and in my line of work I have little social interaction with anyone outside my home. I also belong to RYO and smokeless forums. Anyone consider those hobbies?

Is it embarrassing to think of pipe smoking as a "hobby"?
I've always thought of those that would call smoking a hobby are ashamed of being a considered a smoker.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I was smoking for many years before the internet, never simply visited a smoke shop to talk with other smokers (I'm asocial by choice and really see not purpose in discussing pipes or blends with others.) I don't collect pipes, I smoke constantly when sentient, am not interested in the least to see pictures of pipes, latest acquisitions, latest carving, not the least bit interested in telling another what they should smoke or buy.

I do love reading the posts by the folks who can't make a decision about what pipe to buy, the members who quickly answer a stupid question (Yes indeed, there are stupid questions.) asked by a new member who, often, is never heard from again after the trolling.

I'm here for the humor and, yes, even the oft argumentative discussions. I interject when I think necessary and, often, when not necessary.

The pipe smoker for whom pipe smoking is not a hobby thoughtlessly stuffs his inexpensive pipe with his preferred tobacco and rarely if ever gives it a moment's thought.
Obviously, I enjoy the give and take when a poster makes a totally indefensible/unsupportable generalization as in the above. These are favorite diversions on an otherwise drab, snowy day like today. I'm here not because of the pipe but, because of the interesting members, the entertaining members and those combative members so necessary to hold one's interest.

were to meet you, and learn that you acquire pipes of various makes and shapes and try different tobaccos and discuss pipe related things with other pipe smokers and post pictures of your pipes,
So, what if I do none of those things? My pipes are all bent to some degree and conservative in shape. I quit trying new blends after finding the five or six which are satisfactory fifity years ago and only when one goes out of production do I look for something to fill the space on my desk. Nor, do I interject myself into pipe discussions on this site as I'm not interested enough to educate myself in the more mundane/arcane aspects of the pipe that so many here seem to enjoy. The same goes for blends by and large.

Palates differing so widely, I'd never deign to suggest a blend to another smoker. I would never question the amount of money someone spent on a pipe. Or, for that matter, question an asking price.

But, most importantly, I've never had the urge to categorize people I've never met nor, will most likely ever meet. And, am suspect of people who, have never met me, will, most likely never meet me, find it necessary to label me.

I do acknowledge that it is easier for some to pigeonhole others as doing so is much easier than getting to know a person as an individual. Which of course is impossible in a computer based relationship. So it's much easier to class people as one classifies themselves. Easier to relate I suppose.

I'm not the least bit embarrassed to call myself a smoker. For me it is a necessity not something to seen as recreation or, a "down-time" activity.

It's posts such as the OP which keep me coming back to be entertained. This site may in-fact be a hobby. The time well wasted writing this reply was a welcome distraction to the problems and duties of the day.

But, there's a foot of new snow, still piling up and I need to dig out the shed, fire up the Deere and plow out a trail to the road for the postman.

Jun 25, 2021
England
I would say -
Remus, I totally understand why you ask these things, but let me say that your preferred way of getting nicotine is the same as my way. We are exactly the same, there is no difference between us.
Anything extra I may do is simply that, just something extra.

Now let us sit down, smoke, and talk about the trees and the hills, or maybe just look at them and enjoy each other's silent company, and all the good things that have been given us.

Pipeoff

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 22, 2021
Western New York
At the risk of agitating people I like very much:

I doubt some forum members' denials that their pipe smoking constitutes a hobby.

Certainly, there are pipe smokers in the world for whom it is not a hobby -- pipe smokers who don't discuss pipe smoking on pipe smoking forums, nor collect pipes nor display pipes nor categorize tobacco cellars nor keep up on pipe related history, news, and politics.

But saying, "Pipe smoking is not a hobby for me" on a pipe smoking forum is like saying, "I cannot speak English." It disproves itself!

As a general rule, the sort of interest which motivates people to discuss things on forums is a hobby-ish sort of interest.
(An exception would be those who run up against a practical problem, and seek help on a forum.)

"Cars" do not constitute a hobby for the overwhelming majority of car-drivers. But then there are the guys who think and read about cars recreationally, who take pleasure in acquiring and collecting and displaying them, who attend car shows, who discuss cars and post pictures of their cars on forums.
The guys who do this, do not write into those forums saying, "Cars aren't a hobby for me -- I just have to get to work somehow."

Is it embarrassing to think of pipe smoking as a "hobby"? Does that make it seem fastidious? Does it make you feel like a dandy?
I can certainly respect an instinct to shy away from any such thing - I just never saw pipe-smoking-as-hobby in that way.

Or maybe I'm on the wrong track.

What motivates you to say things like, "It's just my preferred mode of nicotine consumption," when it is clearly much more than that, to you? Why not dip moist snuff or chew nicotine gum or wear a nicotine patch?
Your posts bear out that you take pleasure in acquiring, collecting, and displaying pipes; in sampling, discerning, and reviewing tobacco. You discuss technique, mentor newcomers to the hobby, and find satisfaction in your cellar spreadsheets.

Let me put a question more directly to hobby-deniers:
What, in your mind, would constitute pipe-smoking-as-a-hobby, and in what way do you not qualify for that?

Or maybe this is a better question:
If a fellow (let's call him Remus) who has thoughtlessly stuffed his cob 12x a day for decades, and never felt any curiosity about other pipes, or tobacco, or technique, or pipe culture or community, were to meet you, and learn that you acquire pipes of various makes and shapes and try different tobaccos and discuss pipe related things with other pipe smokers and post pictures of your pipes, and if he (Remus) were to say, "I didn't even know there were pipe forums. Not really sure why you'd want to talk about it... I guess it's more like a hobby for you," how would you answer him?
I never heard the term hobby applied to a pipe smoker. We may fit the basic definition but I always refer to it as an art form to those who can’t master or enjoy the rewards.

Ha ha... Come on, admit it... say, "I'm a hobbyist!!"
Wrestling Pin GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
I am a tobacco connoisseur. I smoke cigars as well. The same is true for whisk(e)y. I think this is true for most of us who have been smoking a pipe for a long time. Not to say we are all like Jim Inks with his very refined palate and ability to distinguish and pinpoint all the elements of the blend, but we all have fairly refined palates to one extent or another. Maybe "connoisseur" sounds snooty, but the bottom line is that we pretty much all have a cultivated good taste for pipe tobacco.
I think epicurean hits the mark nicely for all my “hobbies”
“Epicureanism thus means devotion to pleasure, comfort, and high living, with a certain nicety of style.”

Jun 25, 2021
England
I don't need the nicotine, if I would have to quit today no biggy.
Yeah, quitting is easy. Just throw everything in the bin and don't do it again, mission accomplished.

I gave up smoking for 15 years for the sake of my yet to be born daughter. No problem, just stopped, simple as that.
15 years later I started again. Why ? I needed the nicotine. I seriously did.

Hobby ? absolute nonsense.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Anyone who is an active member at this site has no business calling what you do as a hobby. You are obsessed with pipes and tobacco and nothing will change that until you die. You will always look at possible pipes to purchase along with possible new blends to try.

Face it you are pipe and tobacco junkies as am I.

Warren, you have to be an attorney, am I right? Your devils advocate on so many different subjects are just great. Without a doubt you have the driest sense of humor on the site and I don't believe that many people understand your brand of humor. I for one appreciate your posts as they seem to always crack me up. Maybe there is something wrong with me, but growing up with an attorney for a father, one grandfather and one uncle, I just feel you are in the same vein as they were. I can't wait for my daughter to finish aw school, I already have a list of people or companies I am going to sick her on.

I miss having a lawyer in the family. I used to wield my father like Excalibur.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I think the real denial here lies in this refusal to believe that pipe smoking can be, and often is, far more than a hobby, especially for people with a passionate interest in it.

It is a custom. A tradition. A ritual. It can be part of meditation. It can often have a spiritual dimension. It is medicine. It is an aid to work and relaxation. It gives courage, concentration, a sense of peace. It can have elements of art, of craft. It can be many things--and is.

I suppose pipe smoking can be reduced to something so trivial as the word "hobby" implies, but I suspect even many people who call it that must know, deep down, that it is really something more for them.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I also belong to RYO and smokeless forums. Anyone consider those hobbies?

I look to grant what I can grant in a verbal joust, and I grant that I'd roll my eyes at anybody claiming that smokeless tobacco was a "hobby" of his.

I've always thought of those that would call smoking a hobby are ashamed of being a considered a smoker.

Now this is funny.

How many screwdrivers do you own?

Ah but none of them are collected for aesthetic appeal. Pure function.
I've seen your meers. Many are beautiful; all are visually impressive. And that is not coincidental -- you knew what you were looking for aesthetically.
I doubt that you've ever sought your next screwdriver in the same way ;-)

Warren,
I am fully prepared to believe that you are not a pipe hobbyist. That you are here for the entertainment, e.g. sparring with obnoxious fellows like me, is surprisingly plausible.

Now let us sit down, smoke, and talk about the trees and the hills, or maybe just look at them and enjoy each other's silent company, and all the good things that have been given us.

Great answer!

I suppose pipe smoking can be reduced to something so trivial as the word "hobby" implies,

Now this is interesting. I think that some others feel that "hobby" makes too much of it; whereas you feel that it makes too little of it. Fascinating.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.