UK
HITS. MISSES.
Mclellands beacon. Carter hall

Escudo. Mclellands honeydew

Bengal slices. Haddos delight

Germains medium flake. Reiners long golden flake

Mahogany flake. Rattrays accountant mixture

Mcbarens roll cake 9mm filter pipes

Prince Albert Condor (been trying to appreciate this blend since the 80s. Still not happening.).

F&T reject pipes

Barling pipes. What's your highlights & disappointments for the year?

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Sorry folks, the post didn't come out as I had typed it originally.

Either I don't know what I'm doing with this iPad,or the North Koreans are hacking this website again.my hits for the year are:-beacon,escudo,medium flake(Germains)mahogany flake, Bengal slices, F&T reject pipes & Barling pipes. Misses are those left above, what are yours?

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Hits - Watch City 558, Old Dominion and Churchwarden. Dunhill Dark Flake, Dunhill Flake, St. James, FVF, McCranies Red Ribbon and SixPence.
Also hits is Brit-Wood (Sasieni, Comoy, Dunhill, Upshall and Charatan{pre-lane}) and Old, Old Meer Schaumburg Pipes.
Misses - Savinelli 420, Bagpipers Dream, Black Frigate, Deeply Aged Reiner Golden Flake and ANY heavy LAT blend.

cynicismandsugar

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2015
Springfield, Mo
Hits: Condor, Margate, Crooner, HH Vintage Syrian, Corn Cob Pipe (and a Button Nose)
Misses: Squadron Leader (bulk), Mark Twain No. 150... ... ... D@mn, I really need more 'misses,' otherwise, I seem like a tobacco whore.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
No misses, I'm a tobacco whore.

Since joining this forum at the beginning of the year, I've gotten out of my McClelland/GLP/SG/G&H/C&D/Peterson's rut (although many of those blends are still favorites and will always continue to be - GLP is a brilliant blender, and Mike McNiel is magical), but some BIG hits that were new to me:

Director's cut, Viprati, Strang, Royal Yacht, Black Frigate, Fayyum Kake.

I have more samples to try, so I may have more to add soon

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I used to keep track of different tobacco's I've tried each year for such lists, but haven't for the last couple years. I'd have to go back and look at what I've smoked to really see what were hit's and misses. I can absolutely without a doubt tell you the worst tobacco I smoked this year, which I tried for the first time, Prince Albert. Man that stuff is terrible. I got through 4.5 bowls and then said forget this crap, and went back to smoking real tobacco.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
Three tobacco blend hits:

Savinelli 140th Anniversary

HH Latakia Flake

Pike Place (RIP)

The Savinelli 140th is my favorite of all right now.

A lot of beautiful pipes mostly Castello, Dunhill, and Radice

One of a kind Clark Layton sterling banded Zulu,

Rad Davis Zulu and two Northern Briar G4 sterling banded Zulus

Two Cardinal House Sterling Banded Billiards

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Hits GH Westmoreland Flake,MC 2035, McB Dark Kentucky, GH Kendal Kentucky and Warhorse Bar.
Misses Carter Hall sorry America.
I didn't buy any pipes this year 8O

kiel

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 27, 2016
My hits were SG Balkan flake and Chocolate Flake, MCC 2015, and two blends that were misses last year CDs Epiphany and Lunchtime Blues.
This years misses would be SG's Grousemoor and Perfection.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
The problem is prior to 2016 melds into 2016.
Hits: Anything McClelland, C&D Black Frigate, Castello, Mimmo Provenzano, Rattray's, F&T, Wessex, White Knight,
Misses: Anything GLP, Brigham pipe, Carter Hall, 10 year old Escudo(Any escudo really), USPS losing my 1995 tin of christmas cheer

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Hits: Black Frigate, Edward G. Robinson Pipe Blend, War Horse Bar, Reiner's Long Golden Flake, Davidoff Medallions
Misses: Cult Blood Red Moon

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Missed out on a Comoy's Extraordinare 499. Wish I bid higher. Had plenty of hits tho, too many, PAD is in effect!

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Hit: C&D Bridge Mixture, GLP Westminster, GLP Triple Play, Mclelland Katarini Classic, GLP Temple Bar, Sutliff Ready-Rubbed, and C&D Corn Cob Pipe and A Button Nose
Miss: C&D Constellation (Bitey Shit) GLP Virginia Cream(Sometimes decent, most of the time odd, so not worth anymore time) H&H White Knight( there is just so much better out there)

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Hits: Virginia flakes in general, really just got into them; McClelland blends in general; Peter Heinrichs Dark Strong and Golden Sliced; and Tim Thorpe's phenomenal pipes (two of them this year).

Misses: Peterson's Irish Flake; corn cob pipes; and that's about it.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Hits: PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, Plugs..... Oh my the plugs... Jackknife, Wessex Goldbar, Triple Play, Triple P.

Misses: Hmmm.... I enjoyed all of my new blends that I got this year because I stuck with Virginias Or VaPers.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Hits:

MM Cobs, Bauer Meer, some really great vintage tobacco I'm not telling you about, Peter Heinrich's Curly block, D&R VIP, D&R blending Periques including one that's 15 years barrel aged, red Virginias, aged Yenidje, and other goodies, Warhorse Bar, Director's Cut, Makhuwa, other HU delights.
Misses:

A lot of tobacco samples that I tried in a box pass, but that's what comes with the territory. Lots of repackaged tobaccos to fool the pipesters.
Biggest miss: The FDA horseshit.

Status
Not open for further replies.