PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
No such thing as a silly question.
I've got a couple.
Let's say I want to buy my friend a bulk package of pipe tobacco. And he has minimal experience smoking pipes.
I have three criteria:
-Taste good of the mass census
-Cellar well in it bulk packaging. (He may not smoke it right away, but when he does. Cream of the crop.
-Something classy. (He is a true gent, and a close brother.)
Next question: what's a good briar that's kinda like the Savenilli Porto Cervo in a sense of its size and shape.
I'm in the market for a briar pipe. I have 4 MM cobs and just picked up a smokeable seconds grab bag from their website. I did have a grabow back in college. That I picked up from the general store.

Other than that I have no idea where to start. I figured I would keep with my cobs only. But y'all talk about your briars like I'm missing out.
I really like the look of the Savinelli Porto Cervo 320. Its big and thick like me. I bet it burns cool too.... What do I know, I just like the thickness. But not the Budget thickness I'm hoping on.
Any and all recommendations will be appreciated and deliberated

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
You might consider some of the samplers that are available. That way if he doesn't like one he could move on to the next. As to a briar pipe...the 320 is popular. Very popular.Extremely popular. I WANT ONE! any mid-range briar gives you a decent chance (it ain't guaranteed)at a quality smoker. Estates are probably a good choice (and one I still go for).

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I second the samplers. I might give an assortment of tins.
Tins are sealed and foolproof, so your minimally experienced friend won't have to mess with jarring stuff up.
There are a number of "sampler combo" deals on tins in the sale section of our sponsors' websites.
Do you know, generally, what stuff he likes, or is it wide open?
As for the pipe, I'm kinda new myself, so I'll let the veterans answer that.
jay-roger.jpg

May 4, 2015
Savinelli 100%. If you like the shape of the 320, go for it. You won't be disappointed and you have my guarantee. If you don't like it, I'll buy it personally. :lol:

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
A Rossi 320 would be less expensive than a Savinelli, but same design. As to tobacco, if they have never smoked before, I would avoid flakes and ropes and stick to ready-rubbed. I would suggest McClelland's 5100.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I have gifted him a couple tins already. I wanted to blow up his mailbox with a bulk brick of tobacco, or something like that. What is a good tobacco to cellar?
I will look into the Rossi 320. Thank you

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
You could take advantage of the Dunhill deal on P&C right now.
Buy a pound for your bud and get 3 free tins for yourself. Win-win!
Add some pipe cleaners, a tamper or two and maybe a pouch, if he doesn't have them.
Then you're only a tin or two away from the free shipping mark.... (enablers we are)
Or, maybe they'll have a pipe option you like, as well, to reach free shipping.
jay-roger.jpg

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If you're in no hurry, you can often still order when it's back ordered. You'll lock in the good deal and they will ship whenever it arrives.
jay-roger.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think PC has Stanwell brushed black and brushed brown briar pipes in various shapes for about $50, and these are durable smokable pipes. Rossi Vittoria pipes start about $40 and are also dependable. Right now SP has Genod pipes made in France for $40 and $45, and they are well above price point in my experience. So the Savenelli or any of those should do the job, for you and/or your friend, if you are on a budget. If you're not on a budget, the sky is the limit. For bulk tobacco, there are many choices. I think Lane 125th Anniversary blend is really good, at a good price in bulk, at SPC.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I would say get half a pound each of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake, Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Bullseye Flake.
Also think about some of the bulk McClelland Flakes particularly the Fragrant Mature Cake.
Also I second the Rossi suggestion and I like the Ropps and Genod's that are around $40.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
16 oz bag of HH Acadian Perique or Old Gowrie.
Or Peretti's No 8, it comes in a 16 oz tin.
Pease blends come in 16 oz too in some cases.
As for pipes, http://www.thepipenook.com/store/c32/Series_III_Unfinished.html

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
The last pipe I bought, a Savinelli Porto Cervo 320KS, is among my LEAST smoked pipes. It is not balanced for clenching, the bit is too big for me, and it doesn't play well with my favorite flakes. The Sav 614 fits me much better, and seems to smoke all types of tobacco well.

tomnernas2ndson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2011
Nebraska
In regards to a thick pipe, I prowl about for the old bulldog Custombilt or Tom Howard pipes on Ebay. Samplers rule. I've amassed quite a few samplers and it keeps me interested. Good luck.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I have been doing some searching on pipes.... now I'm more drawn to radiators.
But I did manage to snag a pound of PS LTF for a good price thanks to a fellow botl.

hillbillyjosh

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2017
I agree. I have had all three Luxuries from PS.
I keep reaching for the twist flake. It's sweeter tasting than the Navy.

Status
Not open for further replies.