PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
Hey Brethren,

If I was going to buy only one (maybe three?) McClelland Virginia based blends -- which one(s) should it be?

I'm largely an English guy and have never quite fallen in love with VAs including legends like Escudo and Golden Sliced and Haddo's -- they're just "okay" to me.

But don't let that flavor your suggestions -- I truly want to know what was the best of the best of the infamous McClelland Virginias?

(Should probably go without saying I've never tried a McClelland VA based blend. I've now tried all the Frogs and 3 Oaks)

Sincerely

Lurker
May 23, 2020
Orygun
Infamous?
My favorites among the McClelland Virginias were their matured red Virginias like Christmas Cheer, 40th Anniversary, and McCrainie's Red Ribbon and Red Flake. I'm also partial to 2010, 2015, which is a Va/Per, and 27.

If you had to narrow it to three?

And which one would be numero uno?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Not a simple answer. It depends on supply. Simple answer is probably 40th anniversary. But if you can land a tin of '90's Christmas cheer, then you might want to do that.

Reactions: peregrinus
Jun 23, 2019
Infamous?
My favorites among the McClelland Virginias were their matured red Virginias like Christmas Cheer, 40th Anniversary, and McCrainie's Red Ribbon and Red Flake. I'm also partial to 2010, 2015, which is a Va/Per, and 27.

5100, 2020 (Oriental I guess...), 5115 are all fantastic too. The "cheap stuff" never get their shine, probably because they don't have exotic labels to stimulate the imagination.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I valued McClelland mainly for their Oriental series. So my 3 best would be:
1. 3 Oaks Syrian (For me the best last Syrian blend).
2. Drama Reserve (An excellent Oriental).
3. Tudor Castle (a Va/Per with a little bit of Oriental).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Many of those listed are hardly representative of McClelland Virginias. Sable's List is. If you want three, any Christmas Cheer year, 40th Anniversary and McCranie's Red Ribbon. Get your wallet out, all will be quite pricy.

Last edited:

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
McCranies Red Ribbon (1983 or 1996).
McClellands Blackwoods Flake
McClellands Matured Virginia #27

In that exact order.

Reactions: garageboy
Status
Not open for further replies.