PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuchulain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2014
Massachusetts
For the past few months I've been attempting to quit dipping and make a full switch over to my pipe. I've been dipping about a tin a day for the past five years so my nicotine tolerance is through the roof. Unfortunately every single kind of pipe tobacco I've tried aside from Peterson's Irish Flake fails to satisfy my nic cravings, and I find myself reaching for the Copenhagen shortly after the bowl is through.
Any suggestions on a high nic blend to help wean myself off the dip?

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
First off welcome, second off you can use the search function to look for older thread that would answer your question. But if you want a high nicotine blend I would suggest Dunhill's Royal Yacht and Irish Flake, like you already stated, and any form of rope tobacco is supposed to have a very nicotine content. I hope you do end up quitting chewing, pipe smoking is so much more relaxing and once again welcome.

~Ron

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
My absolute favorite nic fix blend (aside from Irish Flake) is Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Kentucky.
It's a finer, almost shag cut, that packs really easy in any pipe. It burns well, tastes awesome, and has a little hint of that Lakeland sweetness, but not overly purfumey or soapy like a lot of guys hate. GH uses the same equipment to process all their tobaccos so I've heard, so the essence tends to get picked up even in the non flavored blends. The result here is just a great burning tobacco with lots of flavor and just enough to keep it interesting.
Also C&D Old Joe Krantz. More of a burley blend but it definitely satisfies.
If you want to go with a high octane English, C&D Montford Point Marine is a winner. That stuff doesn't mess around when it comes to nic. I find it way more satisfying than Nightcap. Not hating on Nightcap. It's good too.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
The ultimate nic-kick in my experience is provided by the brown rope/twists, eg Brown Irish, Brown Bogie etc
I've been smoking pipes for 14 years and Havana cigars for 20 years before then - before I saw the light! Even now, if I'm not careful, if I don't 'sip' the brown ropes carefully I'll be heading for the "vomitorium" LOL
If brown ropes don't work for you, nothing will!!

May 31, 2012
Some great suggestions here.
Also give Robert McConnell Latakia Flake a go, it ain't really a Lat flavor, more like anise, maybe sorta like Cope? But it gives a good nic hit --- it took me a full tin to get the right packing technique though, I had issues with keeping it lit good, but once you get acquainted with it, it's a really fine stout smoke!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Welcome to the Forums and the hobby, Cuchulain!
Unlike you, I really don't like the effects of nicotine, and so I favor low-nicotine blends. So the ones that are overpowering for me may be nothing for you! :)
I'll second misterlowercase's suggestion of McConnell's Latakia Flake. I can't comment on the flavor, because I couldn't smoke it long enough to taste anything; I knew after one puff that it was far too strong for me.
GLPease Haddo's Delight is a delicious blend that has a fairly strong nicotine presence. Pease's Jackknife Plug and Gaslight are also know for their nicotine.
You might also enjoy Solani Aged Burley Flake and MacBaren HH Old Dark Fired.
Bob

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
Dunhill's nightcap set me on my ass a couple of times, and I have a pretty high tolerance for nicotine. Usually after I had 2 bowls, back to back, but even one should do it for you. Depends a lot on if you like the stuff too. I found Rattray's Hal o' the wynd to be pretty strong for a virginia blend as well. It's written on the tin, which may lead to subliminal suggestion, but I think it's accurate.

If you really want to quit chewing tobacco, just start smiling at any ladies you're trying to impress right after you finish a plug. Their reactions might turn you off from the stuff! Well, if you enjoy it, do what you like, but from your post, it seems like you're trying to kick that habit. I never really saw the appeal. That, and including snuff. It just seems so messy and the people I've seen doing it... well, hocking up big gobs of black spit/phlegm/teeth/and whatever else comes up is pretty damn gross for most people to sit next to.

Of course, it does have a mild badass effect, like when someone like me says something offensive to a guy like you and your reaction is to hock that shit on to my shoes. That's an impact to be sure.

Anyway, Nightcap and Hal o' the Wynd. Those are two very different, but strong blends.

robusthermit

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 9, 2012
C&D Old Joe Krantz, Ten Russians, SG 1792 Flake, C&D Haunted Bookshop, C&D Bow Legged Bear, Any rope but Brown Bogie is the strongest. These are my go to blends for a nic fix. I also enjoy Jacknife Plug, Triple Play, C&D Big and Burley and C&D Bayou and Three Nuns. They are not as high in nic but I pull them out when I plan on smoking several bowls back to back.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I just want to follow up on the Hal o' the Wynd recommendation. . .
This is a fantastic Virginia. (Rattray's is known for their remarkable Virginias.) But this blend is only going to truly shine if it's smoked verrrry slowly. It's only at that point that the rich Virginia flavor and sweetness come to the fore.
Since smoking slowly is something most beginning pipe smokers struggle with, I wanted to mention that just in case you tried it and wondered what the fuss was all about. Of course, if you smoke it slowly enough to reap its benefits, you may not be getting the nicotine hit you're looking for.
Bob

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
That's very true about the tempo of the smoke. I think that if you puff any blend too fast, it becomes much diminished. It's one of those things that you don't really pick up on until that magical time when it happens accidentally or you really make an effort to figure it out. Sort of like inhaling. Go slow, don't inhale, and the flavour is really very impressive and different.

I think the wynd will still get you when it's done slow. It'll just take a bit longer.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Jackknife Plug is plenty for me on its own, but I hear that pipestud mixes it with Five Brothers, which is basically straight nicotine, for extra strength.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I am a nicotine wimp, however, I recall seeing two tobacco blends, in other posts, that have significant nicotine content. One of these high vitamin D blends is Five Brothers and the other blend is Tremboka(sp). I have not smoked either one of these high nicotine tobacco blends.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Since no one else mentioned it I have to ask. Anyone get nailed by Solani 633? It's the only blend that's given me N fits twice. I'm currently smoking a bowl on a full stomach and it's still hitting me.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Although I’m too new at this to offer any personal advice, I found a video on YouTube called High Nicotine Suggestions.

Here’s the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATHJ4awXOVk
This guy is asking the same question, so I suggest Reading the comments to get the answers.
Dot

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
Now, as a pipe noob, I have questions.

Is it the nicotine that makes a certain kind of mouth feel, like a sort of numbness? I like that.

And from what I understand (what I read) is that N absorbs through the mouth, no need to inhale, is that correct?
And the only info missing is flavour information, can someone fill me in on a non-aromatic, high N English type blend?

Wouldn't mind a slap in the face once in awhile.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Nightcap is a big latakia blend with a good nicotine hit that you may like.

Status
Not open for further replies.