12 Fresh Ser Jacopo Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bear in mind that some of the makers you cite, like Peretti, Wilke, and Hearth and Home (P&C) source their blending tobaccos from companies like Sutliff and Lane, as well other suppliers. A source of amusement for me, were those "ex[erts" who trashed Sutliff for being inferior tobacco while singing the praises of blends that were made by, and composed of, Sutliff tobaccos though branded with a different name.
Ha ha, well, they seem to do a great job at making blends for other companies. But, I, for one, never said that they used inferior leaf. I just don't like any of their selections. It also amused me that when I did assert my opinions, that "someone" (not Sable) always counters with this tidbit of information about them making blends for other companies. I'm sure if someone likes aromatics or non-aromatics with an aromatic back note, that they'd love their blends. And, if I had a company that needed an aromatic made, I'd certainly turn to an aromatic expert.
Back when I was always hanging out at The Briary, even the rep for Lane would join us in our banter. He seemed to understand that they just don't appeal to the non-aromatic crowd as much as those that love aros. It's healthy for the hobby to have opinions and camaraderie. And, if someone was looking for blends like these, I would certainly suggest them, or not bash when someone else suggests them.

To the OP. Check out Peter Stokebbyes Cube Cut. It is a more simple Burley/ Virginia blend, easy to smoke, and with a pleasant casing that you may like. It is like a codger blend with a better quality smoking experience, IMO. I would also suggest trying small 2 oz samples of blends before sinking money into pounds at a time. I hope that helps.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Well, if nobody else is gonna do it I will. I pay about $1.25 an oz for what I consider to be tobacco of highest quality from D&R. I buy some of their blends and some of their primarily single varietal blends and make my own 'compositions'.
The blends of Russ Oulette are outstanding and some are probably as good as you can get. (Firestorm?)
Other blenders have their own specialties and niches...and there's something for everyone.
I seldom buy anything tinned or pouched anymore.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
I have yet to discover any low quality bulk tobacco of what I have tried so far, so I'd be interested to know what you have encountered that you consider low quality tobacco.

Well I'm somewhat new to pipe smoking... Allow me to elaborate on that. I've smoked for 30 years but only sporadically. I had no knowledge of technique hence I almost always smoked too fast and too hot and therefore didn't taste much. In the last few months I've gotten back into it but have taken the time to learn how to do this so it's more enjoyable. As I've done so I've found that certain blends which I used to enjoy, are no longer so enjoyable. I'll give one example: Lane HGL. I originally found this to be a pleasant crossover from aromatics to a light english. So I bought 8oz of it and cellared it. When I smoke it now - sipping slowly, maintaining a cool pipe, retro-haling, etc - it's rather one-note for me and has a harsh chemical taste after a while. While Peterson's Early Morning Pipe is deeper and nuanced in flavor without the chemical taste. I assumed this to be a case of low-quality vs high-quality. Perhaps there's more to it than just that however?

I'm looking for bulk tobaccos with depth of flavor and nuance and no unpleasant additives/toppings.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
I consider 250 gr and one pound boxes or bags as bulk. I buy bulk when I can because it is a bit cheaper and I prefer storing it long term in mason jars or mylar. As a rule, I don't remove tobacco from tins/cans and transfer it to mason jars or mylar bags.

I'm looking for bulk primarily for the cost savings of it. It's just a much better deal per ounce.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
I would also suggest trying small 2 oz samples of blends before sinking money into pounds at a time. I hope that helps.

Thanks for that wisdom. This is exactly the approach I'm taking now after having already bought larger quantities of some blends that I no longer find very enjoyable. Lesson learned. Fortunately I didn't spend too much to learn this lesson.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
Well, if nobody else is gonna do it I will. I pay about $1.25 an oz for what I consider to be tobacco of highest quality from D&R. I buy some of their blends and some of their primarily single varietal blends and make my own 'compositions'.
The blends of Russ Oulette are outstanding and some are probably as good as you can get. (Firestorm?)
Other blenders have their own specialties and niches...and there's something for everyone.
I seldom buy anything tinned or pouched anymore.

Thanks for mentioning D&R - I hadn't heard of them before. Where are you purchasing from? I see their blends on Windy City...

Their prices are indeed outstanding. I guess my only hesitation is that I can't simply buy a small sample size (1-2 oz) - I have to purchase a 1lb bag. I'm at the point now where I want to try out new tobaccos before buying in bulk.

ArtAraya

Lurker
Aug 21, 2020
Palm Coast, FL
Thanks for mentioning D&R - I hadn't heard of them before. Where are you purchasing from? I see their blends on Windy City...

Their prices are indeed outstanding. I guess my only hesitation is that I can't simply buy a small sample size (1-2 oz) - I have to purchase a 1lb bag. I'm at the point now where I want to try out new tobaccos before buying in bulk.

Disregard this...I see that smokingpipes offers D&R in sizes as small as 3.5oz

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm looking for bulk primarily for the cost savings of it. It's just a much better deal per ounce.

No question. A pound of Mac Baren Dark Twist, Club Blend, Virginia Flake and some others is $56 at Tobacco pipes for example. Buying 16 oz in tins would equate to $84.52, almost a $28 difference! Daughters & Ryan makes some very nice blends but you should sample them first. They are a bit different than other blends, much dryer (which can be a good thing, you're not paying for water) than most blends. And their prices are a bargain. Newminster is another, their Superior Flake is an outstanding Virginia Flake that sells for $33 per pound.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I'm looking for bulk tobaccos with depth of flavor and nuance and no unpleasant additives/toppings.
Personal bulk favorites:
  • Arango Balkan Supreme
  • F&K Lancer Slices
  • Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake
  • Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake, but there is likely some flavoring added
  • Watch City Cigar Blends
Also, many C& D blends are available in bulk. They are known for not casing much of their tobacco at all. I have not had many of their offerings, but they are generally highly recommended by others.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Ha ha, well, they seem to do a great job at making blends for other companies.
Yeah, and I think that this is simply a matter of Sutliff carving a distinct niche within the aromatic market to sell under their own name. I'm not a smoker of goopers, but the vast majority of tobaccos sold are aromatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.