High Grade Replica Stem Economics (example project)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
3 Fresh Il Cerchio Pipes
12 Fresh Winslow Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
9 Fresh Caminetto Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
It's easy to know the route to take when a basket pipe or a Lars Ivarsson needs a new stem.

Between those extremes what to do depends on several factors, such as the replacement value of the pipe itself (though another exactly like it may be hard to find), and any "emotional" considerations such as its history (family heirloom, wedding gift, etc), or fills a specific place in your rack (such as being one of a set of birthyear pipes).

In this case the pipe is a solid example of one of Dunhill's workhorses---the R---in their most expensive Root finish. In good condition such a pipe will bring about $230 on the estate market.

So, not considering the emotional value side, just the economics, is it worth re-stemming with a true REPLICA stem, or is a low cost functional replacement the better choice?

At the conclusion of each step of the creation process a photo was taken, and the number of minutes to get there from the previous step is marked on it.

In this case the "back to new" choice was the way to go. Even though the stem wasn't inexpensive, it was significantly less than getting a new model R.

:col:

P5135805.JPGP5135807 2.JPGP5145810.JPGP5145811 2.JPGP5195859.JPGP1040513.JPGP1040514.JPGP1040512.JPGP1040515.JPG

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
This is why George has a 3 year waiting list. I once asked him to replace a stem for me but since it wasn't a Bo Nordh or a Bang or a 1911 Dunhill double patent no, he told me to piss off you newbie puke and never speak to me unless spoken too. So I took that as a no. I only wanted an acrylic stem for my Savinelli. geezzzzzzz

Status
Not open for further replies.