PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AustinT

Dumb question but...How do you know when there is no tobacco left in the bottom of the bowl and you're just lighting ashes? Quite often when I get to the bottom I develop a case of the hiccups. Could that be the cause?

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
There will be less smoke in the draw as you get to the bottom. And real strong tobacco will sometimes give me hiccups. I set the pipe down for several minutes and give it rest.

You really sh... I wouldn't... if you keep torching the bottom of your pipe, you are going to f%$# up that pipe. No where in the annals of pipe history, pipe lore, or pipe anything does it say that one should try to smoke a pipe down to the last little tiny bit of tobacco... Except maybe I saw it on a Cheech and Chong movie or something. You are talking about a tobacco pipe, right? puffy

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Hiccups can come from a wee too much nicotine. I get them when I dip Cope and don't spit.

Fun fact: Couple drops of Hot sauce on the tongue cures hiccups every time.

Reactions: sandollars

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
when it goes out, take a look in the chamber. clear the ash out and see if there's enough left to put light to it. depends on how lazy i feel that day, i might even out the top of tobacco and smoke it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When you relight and get little or no smoke, you are relighting ash. Usually a bowl will taste a little off first, but sometimes it's good to the bottom. Sometimes you can feel with the tamper that there is no bouncy tobacco but only hard ash. As for hiccups, mostly I don't get them, but my ready cure as a kid was to take ten gulps of water without inhaling. It seemed to break the rhythm.

derhammer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 7, 2018
New Zealand
I agree it's Lady Nicotine who's causing it.
I smoked a Javanese cigar once and had a hiccup for more than an hour.

cosgringo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2019
CO Springs
Nicotine...
I get that if I try chew and such. Funny- I could smoke a strong maduro or my too many bowls in a row. If I take a pinch of tobacco (tired with some aromatic PT's)- boom. At least for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.