PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
This pipe was unsmoked but was in a nasty antique store. It actually had something white on the bowl, was dirty, stem oxidized, an a bit of a funky smell in the bowl. So I cleaned it up with a little alcohol, hit the stem with the magic eraser, and buffed it up with some toothpaste. I pulled the weird little stinger as well. Smokes like a champ. Stamped Hialeah Algerian Briar and France on the stem. As usual....it was cheap. Now to find out what tobacco to dedicate it to. Excuse the setting, staying at my grandmothers...floral bed sheets is what you get :)
(There's a little tobacco in it from me smoking it, but the bowl coating remained in tact...even after I cleaned it)
IMG_0343_zpsjwalfflm.jpg

It doesn't look right in the pic, but the stem is flush with the shank

IMG_0340_zpsdnxa1vpd.jpg

IMG_0339_zpsm9ptyzcr.jpg

IMG_0419_zpsxtycden2.jpg

IMG_0417_zpsjbvhkieh.jpg

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Cleaned up pretty nice. Congrats on the find. I have only found one unsmoked pipe in an antique shop ever.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Good job, Tyler it looks new. Fine looking pipe. I have not been fortunate enough to find any in the shops around here.

Keeping my eye out though.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
That turned out nice, especially considering what supplies you had to work with. The squat bulldog is a great shape too.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
http://pipedia.org/wiki/Hialeah
Anyone know more? Think it was a 45 Year + unsmoked? Still doesn't top what I've found in the past...but would be interested if anyone has any history on it.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
Thanks for the nice comments by the way. While I don't like a bulldog shape, this one sets itself apart.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Love these 'success' stories. That is a terrific score! That gnarly bulldog looks durable and handy.

Unsmoked? It will get better with use. Thanks for sharing!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Kiss the frog and you get a princess. That went from a nasty old beater to a classy example of the French arts.

bungee

Can't Leave
Oct 31, 2015
Very nice Tyler!
How do you manage to keep finding these hidden treasures as often as you do?
Enjoy!
J

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I just know where to look :) Unfortunately my antique store visits have to wait. I need tobacco, then resto supplies. Along with my upcoming move it doesn't make it easy. I certainly WAS enjoying the pipe, until it became so cold out it hurts. As of now....can't be outside to smoke :
The same place I bought it, the guy said he had about 200 more that he would start getting out and pricing....which, I won't be able to afford...but I would love to go look.

Status
Not open for further replies.