PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Welcome aboard from Florida. Good question. The answer is yes, you can continue to smoke after the pipe has gone out. Like many here have said, some of my best smokes were from pipes I found laying around days after I had set them down. This hobby is very forgiving and relaxing if you allow it to be...much like this forum.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
And, there's another term that is relevant here. dottle. This is what you find in a pipe that isn't completely smoked.
I've experimented with saving the stuff, but that went away with a quickness. The DGT is very commonly employed. I've spent hours finishing up unsmoked dottle in several pipes.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I’ve gone a week or more before relighting a half smoked pipe. I just stirred the ashes a little and dumped them out, lit up and enjoyed! It’s not like a cigar where things get nasty if you let them go out.

Why they do that?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
A key to enjoying yesterday's pipe today, or tomorrow, or.... is to start with good quality tobacco that's sufficiently dry. Otherwise, you get soggy tobacco in the heel, and when you hit that, forget about it.

Reactions: FurCoat