PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Welcome to the forum!

If you ask five people for advice, you will get at least six different opinions. nnnn

When I first began about 5 years ago, I enjoyed watching reviews from a fellow named Bradley, who has a YouTube channel called Stuff & Things.

He has a series of "How to" videos that might be a good place for you to start.

Here's the first one:

Enjoy!

1656823753201.png

MtnGeo

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 29, 2021
Loveland, CO
Hi Craig this category is for introducing yourself to the forum. If you
look at the forum for beginners. There is great information. Sounds like you want aromatic tobzcco.

Craig74

Lurker
Jun 30, 2022
Welcome to the forum!

If you ask five people for advice, you will get at least six different opinions. nnnn

When I first began about 5 years ago, I enjoyed watching reviews from a fellow named Bradley, who has a YouTube channel called Stuff & Things.

Here's the first one:

Enjoy!

View attachment 154714
Thank you Jay
I live in newfoundland canada, and I just grew my first crop of tobacco that turned out surprisingly well. I , also have a recipe to.make pipe tobbaco, if you guys are interested... Cheers

tklee

Lifer
Dec 31, 2021
Malaysia
Hi, and welcome from Malaysia. Get a pipe first, your very own pipe, and any tobacco. If you feel like you like aromatics, go ahead with aromatics, no worries, keep trying until you find the one you like. Search for packing tobacco in youtube or in this forum, learn the simplest packing way, light it, and sib it slowly. That easy ?

Reactions: UncleRasta

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi @Craig74

Welcome from Sydney, Oz

Lots of friendly advice on these Forums, but as @jaytex1969 mentioned, you may get so many different answers/advice to your question(s) that it may end up confusing or overwhelming

Asking specific questions rather than generalised ones may be more helpful.

There are quite a few members who grow and process their own tobacco.

Likewise there are threads dedicated to pipes, tobacco blends, "how to ....." (Everything from packing, lighting, re-lighting, bowls gurgling, XS moisture/gurges, cleaning your pipers, etc)

If you have a problem finding the appropriate thread, I'm sure someone will step in with the right link, or address

Enjoy your time here

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Howdy! Welcome from Texas!

Just load a bowl and peruse the Forum. The section called "Pipe Smoking Basics and Beginner Questions" will enlighten you!

Cheers!

Reactions: UncleRasta

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you Jay
I live in newfoundland canada, and I just grew my first crop of tobacco that turned out surprisingly well. I , also have a recipe to.make pipe tobbaco, if you guys are interested... Cheers
Welcome!

Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
Hello and welcome from West Virginia. My best advice is smoke what you like, how you like to smoke it and in whatever kind of pipe you like. Don't worry about what other people think because they aren't smoking your pipe...you are.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
Welcome from Central Texas. Just start out methodically, and then adopt your own style. It's really simple. Cheers!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A pipe tool with a tamper, scoop, and pick helps, or just a pipe nail with tamper and scoop. You need pipe cleaners, and I think matches are good for starters because the flame is soft and under control, but a lighter if you choose. MM cobs are fine, for a first pipe or one or two extras if you have a briar pipe. I like the cobs with acrylic bits for about 26 to 32 USD, but the basic models cost less. Buy tobacco blends in small quantities, like an once or two in bulk, one tin, a pouch ... since your tastes will change for years ahead. Take it slow. Don't buy too much. Learn the technique -- packing, sipping, tamping, relighting. Read all the pipe smoking info and watch a few youTubes. Find what you enjoy, and do that. Questions are always welcome, the more specific the better. Read the retail websites for info on pipe brands, blends, etc., but mostly window shop for now.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Welcome to the forum!

Here's the first one:

Enjoy!

View attachment 154714
Welcome, Craig.
The above from Jay is exactly right. But then, if like me, you'd take bits of advise from all those you ask, adopting you're own style.
Mutton Chop Piper also has a great set of videos on YT.
Hope you enjoy your new hobby!
Honkytonk Man.