Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech49

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2020
Hamburg Twp, MI
Hello to my fellow pipe smokers. I'm located in Southeastern Lower Michigan, north of Ann Arbor in Hamburg Township.

I've been posting for a couple months now, but thought I should come back here to the Introductions forum and do it right.

I'm just getting back into smoking a pipe after smoking mainly cigars for the past 20 years.

My first motivation to smoke a pipe can be traced back to reading Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn as a kid. Those kids were always smoking a pipe, and interestingly, pipes they made themselves. My first pipe was one I made out of hickory when I was 16, stuffed with Amphora from my dad's can in the livingroom.

I smoked a pipe all through college, but switched to cigars mainly because they're a little more portable and self-contained than a pipe/pouch/tool setup, and cigars were easier to handle during active outside pursuits.

But lately, I wanted some variety over the cigar tobacco experience, so, I'm rediscovering pipe smoking.

In my youth, I smoked the OTCs which were most available in rural New York where I grew up, so I didn't have much experience with the huge variety of blends I have access to now. So, I'm finding I like them all- aromatics, English/Balkan blends, and burleys and Virginias.

And I'm really liking the codger blends I grew up on. Finally, I'm old enough to smoke a codger as a codger.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard. I grew up near Chicago, and my dad's family had a sandy soil summer farm in Michigan just northeast of Muskegon, near a crossroads town called Holton. I've enjoyed cigars, but always felt they were like restaurant dining, done under the supervision of the chef, whereas with pipes, you "cook it yourself," as it were, packing and mixing leaf as you will. Like the value of getting twenty smokes out of the same price as two premium cigars had influence too.

Reactions: tech49

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Welcome from Detroit. Several of us from Southeast Michigan used to have some get-togethers, but they have died out.

• Sad

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
What are your favorites? I'm open to recommendations to fuel my tobacco acquisition disease.
C&D Sansepolcro, Samuel Gawith Brown #4 (if it's still available), and BriarWorks Country Lawyer are three I currently smoke that use cigar leaf. It's pretty forward (strong and spicy) in Sansepolcro and Brown #4. More of a condiment in Country Lawyer.

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Welcome back! This is truly a Golden Age for pipe tobacco, especially for the codger blends. Production quality is better, tobacco sourcing is more widespread, and there's just so much to try!

Status
Not open for further replies.