PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Welcome to the forum from NC. I have never tried the 1820 Flake as a comparison to Penzance, so I can't help you on that one. I've never heard it mentioned in any of the Penzance threads.

sgh

Lurker
Nov 22, 2019
Welcome from So Cal! I've been sitting on a tin of Mac Baren HH Acadian Perique for a while now, how do you like yours?

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Thanks for the welcomes again ~

Cornwall Ontario. I was wondering if you, bring in Canada, had free range to order from UK vendors.
Ah Cornwall Canada, my mistake, my brain is still in the UK with placenames. I wish I could order directly from UK vendors. If there's something I'm missing let me know. I usually order it from here (online with a UK vendor - I use the Black Swan Shoppe) with my card, get it delivered to a friend/relative in the UK and then get them to bring it or ship it over. The usual game of hurdles with the post and border control.

@Casual - I'll be going to Blatter et Blatter next week so I'll take a peek (let me know if there's anything, in particular, you'd like to know), I also have a few pipes from them (great smokers) and I'd like to see what tins they have available. My local tobacconist in Little Italy (mostly a cigar shop) has some tins of Balkan Sobranie on the shelves as well as a couple of 2015/17 tins of Nightcap.

@hobei1dog - From various tobacconists in the UK I was told that 1820 and Rich Dark Flake were UK production versions of Penzance and Stonehaven respectively. The difference apparently was the topping ingredients for Esoterica products were banned in the EU/UK, which was given as the major reason why the Esoterica line wasn't distributed domestically. So (if that is indeed true) they should be fairly similar.

@mikefu - I'm drifting towards RDF if I'm honest after smoking some Brown Flake today.

@sgh - HH Acadian Perique was nice, I liked it enough to buy another tin - notably, it didn't burn hot or bite and was a fairly sweet smoke (I think it has some honey cavendish in there). It was also less heavy on Perique than I thought it would be. My initial tin was dated 2012, so it had a few years on it before I cracked it open, and based on its ingredients it will probably age well.

Reactions: Casual

sgh

Lurker
Nov 22, 2019
@Mtlpiper I'm coming back to the pipe after a long hiatus, one advantage of which is that I have a little bit of aged tobacco. The HH AP is the one I'm most curious about, since it'll be 10 years old in March. I rarely buy tins bigger than 2 oz / 50 g, and this one is 3.5 oz... gonna need a bigger jar.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
Welcome!

The folks at Blatter & Blatter are great. Love their pipes - have a good visit there.
Pipe tobacco in Canada is limited so importing is pretty common. The ones you mentioned have been pretty solid IME.

Saintwilliam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2019
Welcome from Toronto! Relatives are best for sure. 1-2 orders from smokingpipes are usually ok... usually. Their super saver shipping makes it worth it for us.

Looking forward to seeing you around :)

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
@sgh ~ I also stopped for a while and started again about a year ago on and off too, but it's been ramping up a little recently. Thanks for the welcome :) the larger tins of Acadian Perique age a little better, but from memory, I think mine was a little dry when I opened the tin. I ended up adding a bit of moisture when jarred and letting it sit for a few days. I tend not to keep things in tins as I trust mason jars way more.
@Dusk ~ thanks for your help, I'll try to take some pics at B&B of their pipes and will probably buy a little of their own blends.
@3rdguy you're the second who's said RDF.
@paulie66scandinavian - I'm feeling incredibly welcomed, thanks to you and all of the above.

Status
Not open for further replies.