PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Hi from Montreal QC. Hope you guys n' gals in the states had a pleasant thanksgiving.

I'm from the UK originally but came to Montreal back in 2012. I brought with me (luckily undiscovered by border control) a whole bunch of jarred tobacco :)

I've been puffing the odd pipe since a few years before that - so around 2008 or so was my initial corn-cob experimentation.

I have been a visitor to these forums before to tap into the knowledge, but I'm getting more interested in the hobby and doing more smoking recently. So I figured I'd cease lurking. Since my number of owned pipes went over 10... I figured I may as well join up.

The latest genius from here that I'm experimenting with atm is folding up pipe cleaners to use as filters rather than going with my usual Big Ben carbon filters (only one of my pipes even takes a filter).

It seems to be harder to find good pipe tobacco here in Canada (I usually end up risking the border and getting orders from 4noggins or smokingpipes or bribing relatives to load up with 200g per trip on visits.

My current round of tobacco is: SPC: Plumb Pudding (SR), Macbaren's HH Acadian Perique, Dunhill's Nightcap (I have some very old Murrays stuff jarred up), Gawith & Hoggarth's Chocolate Flake (I'm on my last jar from 2008), Reiner's: Long Golden Flake, Solani Silver and Germain's Brown Flake.

I'll finish with a question I'm mulling. My next import choice (bribing relatives to bring stuff over) - I'm currently weighing a decision on whether I should get JF Germain's 'Rich Dark Flake' (similar to Stonehaven) or their 1820 Flake (similar to Penzance). I'll get 500g duty be damned and jar it up. I'm guessing the RDF will age better. Thoughts and opinions?

supperthyme

Can't Leave
Nov 2, 2019
Welcome to the forum! Lurking is fine, but I think you'll find that participating in the discussion is much more fun.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Welcome from the Central Coast of California! Pull up a chair/stool/barrel and sit a while for a smoke and a chat.

You can put your location in your Profile, which will save questions in the future as to where you live should you mention local stores, weather, regulations and so forth.

Montréal is one of my favorite cities, not just because Blatter and Blatter are/is there.

allosh

Lurker
Nov 24, 2012
Bienvieu de Victoria BC
I also order only from 4nogins. Cost of Sail green at only B&M here is $40. Grew up in Park Ex.

Reactions: upnorth1

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Thanks for the warm welcome all, it's great to have such a lively community - even a couple of residents of the frozen north (merci allosh ~ J'habite près du parc-ex. Juste à côté du marché Jean-Talon).

jpmcwjr - done :) It took me a second to find the control panel, but I've added my info.

I took the opportunity to load a bowl of Germain's Brown Flake and it's the first single light smoke I've had for a while. I'll take it as good omens.

jpberg - Isn't south of Cornwall the ocean? I get relatives to bring over 200g a time right now (in my innocence). If you announce it at the border that's the limit for Canada. You just pay duties on any excess. If I could order direct and smuggle it past as 'hobby goods' believe me I would (maybe I'm missing a trick).

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Queen_City_Welcome.jpg

indoeuro

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Central Texas
Hi from Montreal QC. Hope you guys n' gals in the states had a pleasant thanksgiving.

I'm from the UK originally but came to Montreal back in 2012. I brought with me (luckily undiscovered by border control) a whole bunch of jarred tobacco :)

I've been puffing the odd pipe since a few years before that - so around 2008 or so was my initial corn-cob experimentation.

I have been a visitor to these forums before to tap into the knowledge, but I'm getting more interested in the hobby and doing more smoking recently. So I figured I'd cease lurking. Since my number of owned pipes went over 10... I figured I may as well join up.

The latest genius from here that I'm experimenting with atm is folding up pipe cleaners to use as filters rather than going with my usual Big Ben carbon filters (only one of my pipes even takes a filter).

It seems to be harder to find good pipe tobacco here in Canada (I usually end up risking the border and getting orders from 4noggins or smokingpipes or bribing relatives to load up with 200g per trip on visits.

My current round of tobacco is: SPC: Plumb Pudding (SR), Macbaren's HH Acadian Perique, Dunhill's Nightcap (I have some very old Murrays stuff jarred up), Gawith & Hoggarth's Chocolate Flake (I'm on my last jar from 2008), Reiner's: Long Golden Flake, Solani Silver and Germain's Brown Flake.

I'll finish with a question I'm mulling. My next import choice (bribing relatives to bring stuff over) - I'm currently weighing a decision on whether I should get JF Germain's 'Rich Dark Flake' (similar to Stonehaven) or their 1820 Flake (similar to Penzance). I'll get 500g duty be damned and jar it up. I'm guessing the RDF will age better. Thoughts and opinions?
Welcome!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Thanks for the warm welcome all, it's great to have such a lively community - even a couple of residents of the frozen north (merci allosh ~ J'habite près du parc-ex. Juste à côté du marché Jean-Talon).

jpmcwjr - done :) It took me a second to find the control panel, but I've added my info.

I took the opportunity to load a bowl of Germain's Brown Flake and it's the first single light smoke I've had for a while. I'll take it as good omens.

jpberg - Isn't south of Cornwall the ocean? I get relatives to bring over 200g a time right now (in my innocence). If you announce it at the border that's the limit for Canada. You just pay duties on any excess. If I could order direct and smuggle it past as 'hobby goods' believe me I would (maybe I'm missing a trick).
Cornwall Ontario. I was wondering if you, bring in Canada, had free range to order from UK vendors.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Welcome from NL.

If you’re in Montreal, make sure to visit Blatter & Blatter and report back here what you find. I have a couple of their pipes but have not tried their house tobacco blends due to inter-province shipping restrictions.

Mr.Mike

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Welcome buddy! I wish I could give you some insight on your question but I've never had either of those tobaccos. Hopefully someone else will chime in

Status
Not open for further replies.