PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi Edger, I can second Chopper's recommendation of Coopers beer. A great hoppy style. Most importantly they are still family-owned and haven't sold out for mega bucks.

Reactions: chopper

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Yes, Coopers is one of my favourites, especially the Red and Green. Also they come in 375ml bottles instead of the 330ml for most craft beers. Coppers Best Extra Stout, at around 6.3% Alc, is one of the best tasting stouts that money can buy. Puts Guinness stout to shame........IMHO :)

Reactions: chopper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Hi Chopper, thank you kindly for your offer of seeds to grow my own leaf. Luckily thanks to my obsessive-compulsive personality, I've stocked up enough tobacco to keep me happy for several years. I was avidly looking at TobaccoReviews when I got back into pipes for a heads up on whch tobaccos to try, and bought and bought.

I'm a weekend smoker - my wife does not like the smell of the English/Balkan blends I prefer, so I tend not to go through a lot of tobacco per week. I also have a large stash of cigars which I smoke on occasions now given my preference for pipes - again enough to last years without having to buy any more.

One of those times when being obsessive-compulsive has worked out in my favour
??
G'day Ozpiper, good for you.

Before the deadline I urged mates and acquaintances to stock up but none did. Then they come knocking on my door expecting me to share my stash. [The acquaintances one only hears from when they want something]

I'm happy to fill a guys bowl but no way will I give up my modest stash for those who could not be bothered to help themselves.

I'm a daily smoker so I need to plan ahead.

Reactions: Lyle b

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Yes, Coopers is one of my favourites, especially the Red and Green. Also they come in 375ml bottles instead of the 330ml for most craft beers. Coppers Best Extra Stout, at around 6.3% Alc, is one of the best tasting stouts that money can buy. Puts Guinness stout to shame........IMHO :)
+1 Coopers stout - Nicest stout ever. It's so good it should be classified as a health food.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
G'day from the northern rivers ozpiper , good to hear from a fellow aussie toker, good bunch of pipers here with lotsa good stories and plenty of knowledge about the passion we all enjoy . Things getting bac to normal with the postal side of things so might be worth ya luck to keep trying , hope Sydney is treating you well , to busy for me , take it easy , see ya round .

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi Lyle b, great to see that pipe smoking is still alive in the other corner of Oz. This time last month I was enjoying a few days in Adelaide - really enjoyed the much quieter pace of life and the fact that motorists weren't hellbent on running you down when you cross streets there. I also got to enjoy drinks with several bowlfuls in the outside area of the hotel bar watching what traffic there was and pedestrians go by. Sydney is a lovely city, and I do love it, but it is a hectic place.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
Hi Lyle b, great to see that pipe smoking is still alive in the other corner of Oz. This time last month I was enjoying a few days in Adelaide - really enjoyed the much quieter pace of life and the fact that motorists weren't hellbent on running you down when you cross streets there. I also got to enjoy drinks with several bowlfuls in the outside area of the hotel bar watching what traffic there was and pedestrians go by. Sydney is a lovely city, and I do love it, but it is a hectic place.
G'day ozpiper , yea spent abit of time there when I was younger and coupla times in between but yea have got to used to the slower pace up here in God's country , the northern rivers , the hills and humidity, the green grass and the um green grass , I hear Adelaide is really pretty , haven't been down that way myself but would like to one day , I saw you've been copping a few good storms down there, I do love sitting out the front and having a pipe while watching a good storm brew up , we've only had a couple of good lightning storms so for this summer but hoping to see a few more. If ya ever cruzing up this way , you should if ya get the chance , there's some beautiful country here, be sure and let me know , stop in and share a pipe .

Reactions: chopper and jpmcwjr

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Greetings from across the ditch.

I feel your pain; NZ’s “Smoke Free 2025” plan is seeing import duties and taxes up over $1.50/g

Regardless, welcome to the Forums.

Any friend of Al is a friend of mine; well... almost any friend.

— Pruss

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Greetings from across the ditch.

I feel your pain; NZ’s “Smoke Free 2025” plan is seeing import duties and taxes up over $1.50/g

Regardless, welcome to the Forums.

Any friend of Al is a friend of mine; well... almost any friend.— Pruss
  • Hi Pruss, Al was very helpful a few years ago when I was getting back into pipes and needed advice on an estate Upshall I was thinking of buying. Al pointed out a few glaring faults that I was unaware of and I didn't didn't end up with that pipe, thankfully.
  • The thing that impresses me about the PipesMagazine Forum members - they go out of their way with advice and pearls of wisdom. So important if you don't want to make too many mistakes with that pipe or tobacco purchase, or how to get the most out of the pipe(s) and tobacco you have.
  • Only problem are the threads showing off their pipe collections. Envy inducing, and resulting in serious drain on one's finances !

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
  • Hi Pruss, Al was very helpful a few years ago when I was getting back into pipes and needed advice on an estate Upshall I was thinking of buying. Al pointed out a few glaring faults that I was unaware of and I didn't didn't end up with that pipe, thankfully.
  • The thing that impresses me about the PipesMagazine Forum members - they go out of their way with advice and pearls of wisdom. So important if you don't want to make too many mistakes with that pipe or tobacco purchase, or how to get the most out of the pipe(s) and tobacco you have.
  • Only problem are the threads showing off their pipe collections. Envy inducing, and resulting in serious drain on one's finances !
Al is a wonderful dude, with a passion for Upshall pipes that is matched by few (and those few also peruse this site with frequency) and a skill for refurbishing burners that is enviable. So engaging him on an Upshall buy was smart.

I think you're on the money with the members here and their desire to help; especially if the person engaging the learned is willing to listen and also to learn. Mind you, we do have a tendency to cull the herd on occasion... Those threads are historic and read like a Greek tragedy.

I hope you enjoy your time here. I certainly have, over the years.

-- Pat

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Lived in Adelaide for a few months.
Lovely little city. Great pubs. Coopers is the best beer on the planet. [Coopers stout is 2nd to none. 'Portagaff' is heaps popular but whoever thought of putting lemonade into stout? :eek: . . . well, a dash of lemonade is not bad on a hot day if I'm to be honest. Just a dash mind]

My first week there I was heading to town and the locals warned me not to get caught in the evening peak hour.
What bloody peak hour? Having driven cabs as a 2nd job in Sydney I'd not ever seen roads so quiet.

Reactions: OzPiper

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Hi Edger, I can second Chopper's recommendation of Coopers beer. A great hoppy style. Most importantly they are still family-owned and haven't sold out for mega bucks.
I really should read my previous posts before repeating myself :LOL:

My dear old grandad advised "No such thing as bad beer son. There's good beer and there's better beer."
Clearly he never tried that South Oz stuff that the locals call 'Green death' [Southark beer?]

Status
Not open for further replies.