PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
After a few years of gleaning much information, knowledge, tips and sage advice from the members of this Forum, I have decided, with the encouragement of Al "SS" Jones, to join your most informative and entertaining community with a host of diverse, but nonetheless valid, opinions and tastes in all things associated with piping..

I took up piping in the early 1970's while at university, and stopped mid-1980's when the kids came along. I smoked cigars exclusively for more than a decade from the early 2000's. Some years ago I re-discovered my small collection of 20 or so pipes. While searching for ways to refurbish those pipes I came across sites like Steve Laug's Rebornpipes, PipesMagazine Forums, Pipedia, TobaccoReviews etc. This has resulted in a burgeoning interest in pipes, tobacco, pipe history and lore.

My pipe "collection" centres on classic British/French designs - bulldogs (with a very few rhodesians) and billiards (both straight and bent) mainly. Unfortunately my education in tobacco has been dealt an almost fatal blow by the Australian Government's recent ban on "loose" tobacco importation into the country by individuals. All tobacco shipments found by Australian Customs are impounded and destroyed, unless a "Permit to Import Tobacco Products" can be produced. I found out the painful way when all three of my last shipments were seized and destroyed. Oh, by the way, the excise on tobacco in Australia is @ AUD $1 (about USD $0.75) per gram, ie a 2oz tin will have @ AUD$50 tax added on.

Just as in years past when the Prohibition was repealed in the USA, I live in hope that public opinion and common sense will prevail here and that this "Neo-Prohibition" will come to a swift end.

Cheers,
OzPiper

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Welcome to the forums and Best Greets from Finland-EU
Ps. Those Customs regulations on tobacco products seem draconian even from our Scandinavian' point of view
we also do have rather high excise on any tobacco products but regulations on import did not go that crazy despite the fact many would have hoped so

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
After a few years of gleaning much information, knowledge, tips and sage advice from the members of this Forum, I have decided, with the encouragement of Al "SS" Jones, to join your most informative and entertaining community with a host of diverse, but nonetheless valid, opinions and tastes in all things associated with piping..

I took up piping in the early 1970's while at university, and stopped mid-1980's when the kids came along. I smoked cigars exclusively for more than a decade from the early 2000's. Some years ago I re-discovered my small collection of 20 or so pipes. While searching for ways to refurbish those pipes I came across sites like Steve Laug's Rebornpipes, PipesMagazine Forums, Pipedia, TobaccoReviews etc. This has resulted in a burgeoning interest in pipes, tobacco, pipe history and lore.

My pipe "collection" centres on classic British/French designs - bulldogs (with a very few rhodesians) and billiards (both straight and bent) mainly. Unfortunately my education in tobacco has been dealt an almost fatal blow by the Australian Government's recent ban on "loose" tobacco importation into the country by individuals. All tobacco shipments found by Australian Customs are impounded and destroyed, unless a "Permit to Import Tobacco Products" can be produced. I found out the painful way when all three of my last shipments were seized and destroyed. Oh, by the way, the excise on tobacco in Australia is @ AUD $1 (about USD $0.75) per gram, ie a 2oz tin will have @ AUD$50 tax added on.

Just as in years past when the Prohibition was repealed in the USA, I live in hope that public opinion and common sense will prevail here and that this "Neo-Prohibition" will come to a swift end.

Cheers,
OzPiper
The tradition is being lost,our culture and identity.We're going to live in crystal hives............:mad:

Reactions: Lyle b and chopper

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Welcome from Ohio USA.

These guys are probably behind the tobacco tax. :)

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.