PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I love and smoke both every now and again. Rustica is stronger but really not by much. If you puff hard on Bold Kentucky you'll still get plenty of nic.

Bold Kentucky tastes like bbq smoke and Rustica has a vegetal, earthy, almost pretzel quality to me.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Bold Kentucky didn't have a strong effect on me but I love the full barbeque-ish taste.
Curious about Rustica though.
It's strong, singes the nostrils. As for taste there's something vegetal going on, it can be a bit floral, but also an underlying bitterness I hated, like Early Grey tea steeped for too long, or as a friend put it - and sealed it for me given I hate this fruit - grapefruit.

A good experiment and good effort showing MacBaren being bold as well as maintaining their quality, but no more for me.

As for Bold Kentucky, it's not bad but I find Old Dark Fired to be superior on all fronts, and for a DFK kick there's GH Dark Birdseye, SG Lakeland dark which both do what Bold Kentucky does, just a lot better.

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
It's strong, singes the nostrils. As for taste there's something vegetal going on, it can be a bit floral, but also an underlying bitterness I hated, like Early Grey tea steeped for too long, or as a friend put it - and sealed it for me given I hate this fruit - grapefruit.

A good experiment and good effort showing MacBaren being bold as well as maintaining their quality, but no more for me.

As for Bold Kentucky, it's not bad but I find Old Dark Fired to be superior on all fronts, and for a DFK kick there's GH Dark Birdseye, SG Lakeland dark which both do what Bold Kentucky does, just a lot better.
I see what you're saying about the Earl Grey, there's a bit of a bergamot thing going on with Rustica. I happen to enjoy it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
rustica has a much higher amount of nicotine then other leafs but the fact is pulling smoke into the mouth isn't a highly efficient way of getting nicotine. Meaning that the majority of nicotine absorbed by the smoker isn't as dramatic as it seems like it should be. Now in nasal snuff the difference between rustica and other leaf is pretty noticeable. For example I don't need a mini mountain of rustic snuff to feel it.
Oh and the HH rustica isn't straight rustica and that makes a big difference too. There are some pipe tobaccos that are straight rustica and you will feel the nic in those. (they're those only available in certain locations and don't come in a tin you buy them from either the farmer or other guy in the village.)

Status
Not open for further replies.