PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Just my review/comparison between some 2015 vintage HHPV I’ve had cellared, and a box I just received via SP discount sale, which is 2020.

Both exhibit that sun tea tin note, though the 2015 is much more subdued. I’d say it has more of a straight tea aroma, versus the sweet tea/southern honey tea aroma of the “fresh” version.

Even though I’ve jarred the 2015, it’s still quite pliable and moist, though definitely speckled with those sugars from the leaf. The newer version is cut bubble gum thin, and quite elastic.

I utilize the fluid and stuff method for both samples, after a half hour drying time. I’m only utilizing one flake per sample, folding the width first, and then folding across the length. Both are smoked in 05 shape Peterson’s, the 2015 taking a maiden voyage in my Peterson Atlantic rustic, the 2020 in a Peterson Donegal.* Note that I normally rub out flake, but have decided that gold and stuff brings out the better flavors in MacBaren flakes, I assume because of their thin cut.

The 2015 lights easily, and per my normal routine, requires only a charring light with the match, a few puffs, tamp, and away I go.

The 2020 requires a charring light, some tamping, a second light, more tamping, and a final light. More drying time would be beneficial with the “fresh” tobacco.

The 2015 burns exceptionally well, giving off faint grass flavors, and a bit of what I can only describe as a sweet bread/Texas moppin roll essence. Maybe, even, a flavor profile akin to King’s Hawaiian loaf, sweet, yeasty, filling.

The 2020 burns well enough but requires a relight at about 1/2 way. There’s a slight “slurp” not nearly a gurgle, but again reaffirming my thoughts of additional drying time.
Not an abundance of flavor, more a fresh cigar taste. Not unpleasant, quite the contrary, but lacking that depth time has provided its counter sample.

Neither put up much hassle in caring for the ember, though I’d estimate that the newer 2020 required two or three times more tamping that it’s older brethren.

The 2015 maintains that breadiness throughout its entirety, whereas the 2020 does pick up some faint hay essence at about the 3/4 finished point.

2015 burns to a mostly white Ash, with maybe 1/4 or 1/3 burning grey. No discernible Dottle in the bowl. The 2020, however; burns to a darkish grey, and quite a bit of moisture at the recess. Surprised at how much actually. Not to the degree of say, Seven Seas, but a good bit of it. All tobacco is burned though, no wet remnants.

After some time has passed (a few hours, perhaps four or five), I Run tapered pipe cleaners wet with everclear done both pipes. The 2015 comes out relatively clean, only requiring two wet runs, and two dry pipe cleaners. The 2020, requires quite a few more. I’ve five tapered pretty dark, and another six utilized before I reached a modicum of clean.

While not a “room note” per se, as I smoke outdoors exclusively; my sweetie informs me that the 2015 has hints of fair grounds fried goods, she specifically mentions elephant ears. I take from that, cinnamon, fry bread, and that aroma from melting powdered sugar. The 2018, she can’t describe, other than to say grilled corn, without the corn aroma, more generic sweetness. She’s not offended by either, but much prefers the scent of the 2015.

Mr.Mike

Nov 11, 2019
Pennsylvania
Thank you for the comparison, as I just bought my first tin during the sale. I can't say much about it yet, as most tobaccos are very muted just after cracking a tin. I only smoked one bowl and only because I couldn't wait. In my experience, 95 percent of the improvement that comes from aging happens during the first month after the tin is cracked and the tobacco is introduced to air. After that, I found the improvement is marginal.

Aomalley27

Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Good review. Always nice to see a comparison of aged vs. fresh. And glad to hear both sound like they were well worth smoking.
Just an update. While walking the GSD, I was smoking another bowl of the 2015. My neighbor, who usually says “That smells good” whenever I’m smoking an aromatic, and ignores me while smoking an English; came running across the street to ask what I was smoking. I guess it definitely passes the olfactory test. It’s the first time he’s ever approached me to find out what I was smoking.

We started a conversation and he’s trying to quit cigs. Asked me about piping. Spent a few minutes conversing, and tried to stress that while piping is enjoyable, it might not be so for a cigarette smoker as they both inhale and puff. Hopefully he keeps that in mind, as piping isn’t the nicotine delivery that cigarettes are. Didn’t put him off the idea, just wanted to give him realistic expectations. Gave him a few pointers and suggestions, and he’s gonna give it a try. But I left him with the idea that a pipe ISN’T a good cigarette cessation method if that’s his goal. It’s just a relaxing hobby.

Charlie718

Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
Great review. If your neighbor is interested in quitting then a pipe can be beneficial. Because of the pipe I’ve cut back my cig smoking by half and am looking to try quitting again soon. The pipe can solve the oral fixation and give you something to run to when stress makes you yearn for that cig. Smoking a pipe and using Nicorette to slowly lower the nic intake may be what gets me off the cancer sticks altogether.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Just my review/comparison between some 2015 vintage HHPV I’ve had cellared, and a box I just received via SP discount sale, which is 2020.

Both exhibit that sun tea tin note, though the 2015 is much more subdued. I’d say it has more of a straight tea aroma, versus the sweet tea/southern honey tea aroma of the “fresh” version.

Even though I’ve jarred the 2015, it’s still quite pliable and moist, though definitely speckled with those sugars from the leaf. The newer version is cut bubble gum thin, and quite elastic.

I utilize the fluid and stuff method for both samples, after a half hour drying time. I’m only utilizing one flake per sample, folding the width first, and then folding across the length. Both are smoked in 05 shape Peterson’s, the 2015 taking a maiden voyage in my Peterson Atlantic rustic, the 2020 in a Peterson Donegal.* Note that I normally rub out flake, but have decided that gold and stuff brings out the better flavors in MacBaren flakes, I assume because of their thin cut.

The 2015 lights easily, and per my normal routine, requires only a charring light with the match, a few puffs, tamp, and away I go.

The 2020 requires a charring light, some tamping, a second light, more tamping, and a final light. More drying time would be beneficial with the “fresh” tobacco.

The 2015 burns exceptionally well, giving off faint grass flavors, and a bit of what I can only describe as a sweet bread/Texas moppin roll essence. Maybe, even, a flavor profile akin to King’s Hawaiian loaf, sweet, yeasty, filling.

The 2020 burns well enough but requires a relight at about 1/2 way. There’s a slight “slurp” not nearly a gurgle, but again reaffirming my thoughts of additional drying time.
Not an abundance of flavor, more a fresh cigar taste. Not unpleasant, quite the contrary, but lacking that depth time has provided its counter sample.

Neither put up much hassle in caring for the ember, though I’d estimate that the newer 2020 required two or three times more tamping that it’s older brethren.

The 2015 maintains that breadiness throughout its entirety, whereas the 2020 does pick up some faint hay essence at about the 3/4 finished point.

2015 burns to a mostly white Ash, with maybe 1/4 or 1/3 burning grey. No discernible Dottle in the bowl. The 2020, however; burns to a darkish grey, and quite a bit of moisture at the recess. Surprised at how much actually. Not to the degree of say, Seven Seas, but a good bit of it. All tobacco is burned though, no wet remnants.

After some time has passed (a few hours, perhaps four or five), I Run tapered pipe cleaners wet with everclear done both pipes. The 2015 comes out relatively clean, only requiring two wet runs, and two dry pipe cleaners. The 2020, requires quite a few more. I’ve five tapered pretty dark, and another six utilized before I reached a modicum of clean.

While not a “room note” per se, as I smoke outdoors exclusively; my sweetie informs me that the 2015 has hints of fair grounds fried goods, she specifically mentions elephant ears. I take from that, cinnamon, fry bread, and that aroma from melting powdered sugar. The 2018, she can’t describe, other than to say grilled corn, without the corn aroma, more generic sweetness. She’s not offended by either, but much prefers the scent of the 2015.
A very detailed review. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.