PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Hello
Just tried this over the weekend, love it. Now I want to get some to the cellar. My question is if I go for the "Pound of loose" and use mason jars with a good seal, would this do as well as buying the 3.5 oz tins? Pound of loose seems be a better buy.

I don't have much in the cellar but straight Virginias or Virginia periques, so I would also like to get thoughts on how this might do in four or five years.
Thanks for your thoughts and insights, it is appreciated.
Bob

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I've been debating buying the ready rubbed version of it too, as I just mash up the flakes anyways. I smoke it like a treat. Once a week or so.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
It ages just fine.

I was wondering what changes I should expect with age. More sweet? More smokey? Less strength?

What are the differences between aged and fresh?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, I buy by the pound and store in half-pint mason jars. I find I can pretty easily get 4 ounces in a jar, but that's a little much for me to smoke in one go, so I pack it a little looser.
I love the size of the 1.5 oz tins Mac Baren puts their flakes in, so I buy a tin every now and then to round up an order, or I buy them when they're for sale here on the cheap. You pay a bit of a premium for something like ODF vs some of the bulk offerings from other suppliers, but it's worth the premium to me as an occasional treat.

jrbjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2019
Really great information, thanks for your thoughts, will offer the pound and jar it up
Bob

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The stuff is so cheap/reasonable at this point, I'd buy 2 or 3 pounds to put away. I like 8 oz mason jars as you can get about 4 oz of tobacco in them unless you jam it in. That way, you can open some and smoke it versus opening a larger jar and halting the aging process. Years down the road, when you are smoking this stuff with 5 years plus age on it, you'll be happy you took this route.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been smoking though a tin of 2012 ODF and it is really tasty. It is smooth, and sweet and a little earthy. I bought all of mine back in 2012 before they had it in bulk.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
It ages just fine. Buy the pound and jar it. I recommend the 8 oz jars. That way you don't disturb the aging while enjoying some now.

I second this suggestion. :puffy:

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I get a pound into two, square half pint jars. There's a lot from 2012 in my closet and it ages very well.

recluse

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 11, 2011
I've got an unopened tin of this stuff I've picked up and sat down again a few times. I think it's time I finally committed and gave it a go this evening.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Open it! It’s great tobacco. One of the first I cellared deeply as a staple.

Status
Not open for further replies.