PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’m sorry if this has been discussed or is easy to locate elsewhere - I can’t seem to find the information.

How are these packaged?

Can they be cellared without modification or will they need to be taken out and jarred?

Reactions: skydog

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
In the box is a beautiful slab of flakes wrapped in gold foil. The foil wrapped slab is "sealed" in a zip lock style plastic bag. I jarred mine. The shape of a flakes is about 4 3/4" x 1" so they don't fit perfectly in a jar without cutting.

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
It seems like this is the same packaging as their other flakes. I would definitely put the stuff in a jar. The packaging is not unreasonable whatsoever but for the long haul I would trust a jar much more.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Depends on how long you want to age it before smoking it, and how fast you'll use it up. That packaging might hold up for a year while the contents inside gradually dry out. Better to jar it if you plan to cellar it.
Absolutely. It will definitely dry out unless you jar it.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
You can also just throw the whole, unopened box in a Mylar bag and seal it real well. No hassles, and that'll keep through Armageddon. Personally, I cut the flakes in half and stuff them in 1/2 pint jars so I can smoke some while leaving the rest to age. When you get the pound, it's a glorious slab o' flakes that looks like this:

odf lb.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
You can also just throw the whole, unopened box in a Mylar bag and seal it real well. No hassles, and that'll keep through Armageddon. Personally, I cut the flakes in half and stuff them in 1/2 pint jars so I can smoke some while leaving the rest to age. When you get the pound, it's a glorious slab o' flakes that looks like this:

View attachment 26469
I cut mine in half and stick them in jars as well. I can fit a pound in 4 half pint jars.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
You MUST seal it somehow or it will dry out. Jars or mylar bags are the best option. I use smaller mason jars (8oz) which allows me to put a few jars away so I can smoke out of some and let others age without interruptions.

Sealed tins are one thing (thats another discussion!) but the big boxes are not meant for long term storage.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Sealed tins are one thing (thats another discussion!) but the big boxes are not meant for long term storage.
Nope. I bought a box of Kendal Cream from 2015 (Or 16 can’t remember) and it got pretty dry. Shit was like cooked bacon. ? I like my stuff dry so it wasn’t a problem but much longer and it would have been shitdust.

Reactions: BarrelProof

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Nope. I bought a box of Kendal Cream from 2015 (Or 16 can’t remember) and it got pretty dry. Shit was like cooked bacon. ? I like my stuff dry so it wasn’t a problem but much longer and it would have been shitdust.

Well, I’m definitely not interested in shitdust.

I got a “newbie” badge from smoking pipes so my next order is 5% off. I was thinking about buying 5-10 pounds of ODF to cellar, but didn’t want to do it until I know when I’m headed home. I’ll hold off until the end of that promotion period to try to time it a little better. I’ve got an amazing wife, but I doubt she’d be too keen on opening, cutting, and jarring 10lbs of flakes for me in my absence.

Reactions: BROBS

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Well, I’m definitely not interested in shitdust.

I got a “newbie” badge from smoking pipes so my next order is 5% off. I was thinking about buying 5-10 pounds of ODF to cellar, but didn’t want to do it until I know when I’m headed home. I’ll hold off until the end of that promotion period to try to time it a little better. I’ve got an amazing wife, but I doubt she’d be too keen on opening, cutting, and jarring 10lbs of flakes for me in my absence.
You should be fine. The stuff is good for years in a box. Just 5 years is pushing it. You gotta figure at smokingpipes it’s just sitting in the box.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’ve got an amazing wife, but I doubt she’d be too keen on opening, cutting, and jarring 10lbs of flakes for me in my absence.
In my case, that would be 20 pint jars. Takes less than 10 minutes per pound. The pound bags are quite airtight and should be fine for a couple of months before jarring.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.