PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Would have just chimed in with my impressions on 1 of the old BK review threads but they're closed. Just bought a pound and tried it for the first time. I figured I'd like it since I like dark fired Kentucky and it was very nice. But agreed with some reviewers which thought it actually was on the mild side. Though higher in dark fired content, thought it was on a par with ODF for strength. I was expecting more of a wallop. Perhaps, if I hadn't just eaten pizza heavily does with crushed red pepper, I'd have noticed it more but I find that any of the blends I've smoked with 25% perique content packs more of a wallop. Certainly like it well enough to make it a regular part of the rotation were it not for being rather pricey. Has just enough Virginia tobacco to impart a slight sweetness. The dark fired, of course, imparts a nice smokiness to it.

Reactions: ofafeather

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Would have just chimed in with my impressions on 1 of the old BK review threads but they're closed. Just bought a pound and tried it for the first time. I figured I'd like it since I like dark fired Kentucky and it was very nice. But agreed with some reviewers which thought it actually was on the mild side. Though higher in dark fired content, thought it was on a par with ODF for strength. I was expecting more of a wallop. Perhaps, if I hadn't just eaten pizza heavily does with crushed red pepper, I'd have noticed it more but I find that any of the blends I've smoked with 25% perique content packs more of a wallop. Certainly like it well enough to make it a regular part of the rotation were it not for being rather pricey. Has just enough Virginia tobacco to impart a slight sweetness. The dark fired, of course, imparts a nice smokiness to it.
That should have said dosed with red pepper. :)

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
It’s ok, a bit middle of the road overall like most MacBaren. Find Lakeland Dark better for a DFK punch, and ODF woodier and sweeter.
ODF is sweeter. Also like that but think I like Bold Kentucky better. Now that I haven't eaten crushed red peppers right before I smoked it, I'd upgrade the strength to at least a medium level.

Reactions: anotherbob

Duck

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2021
Edinburgh
My first bowl of BK was large, lasted for three hours and was boring. Now I use it when I've enjoyed a bowl of something tasty, but don't feel stated. I put a flake of BK in the pipe I've just smoked and it's like a continuation of the previous bowl.