PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Hey Fred

I got a blotch on the outside of my meer from setting it in the ashtray against a dirty wet pipe cleaner. Any ideas how to clean if it can even be cleaned?
Thanks!

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Yes, it can be dealt with in a number of ways. Assuming that the Pipe cleaner was wet with goo from a Pipe, then you can either wet/dry sand the Block's exterior with 600 grit and re-wax it or moisten a clean white cotton cloth with Everclear and wipe the surface, followed by rewaxing. Since maintenance of the patina is the most time consuming aspect of Meerschaum Care, I prefer the second approach as the stain will become diffuse with the waxing, as the Pipe is smoked and the wax and volatiles migrate. This will take time. Now you know why I prefer to use a Pipe case or Pipe stand to set a Meerschaum down in... Ashtrays are for debris

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Thanks Fred! I think give the second one a go. Where do you find meer quality beeswax?

BTW, I've really been digging my meers lately. What ever chalky taste I used to associate them is gone and I am really appreciating my aromatics in them more and more. I still prefer Englishes in a briar but the aros sing better in my 2 meers.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
Sailorman Jack used to get his Beeswax at fabric stores, as quilters use them

to strengthen their thread. Lately, I've been using a refined Beeswax that was

made without using bleaching agents, that I found on e-bay, as a cosmetic grade.

The more refined Beeswax melts readily, so I can rub it on the Pipe as I smoke it.

Good to hear that you're enjoying your Meerschaum Pipes these days. The character

of the smoke is what keeps me interested in them.

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but is there a certain brand of beeswax someone can recommend? I have seen some that say yellow beeswax but do they go on clear? Sorry not to savvy on my waxes lol

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
As Fred mentioned above-- an unbleached cosmetic grade(people use it for lip balms and such), from ebay is great. I purchased some from a USA maker, I believe MI or OH is where it came from, and it is white. Like Fred suggests I apply it right to the pipe while the pipe is still warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.