PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Give me some feedback on this horrid drawing. This is my first go at a commission pipe and I am wanting something along this line. Is this too specific for a carver to work from? Perhaps not enough info or just a plain dumb idea. :)
0503161508_HDR.jpg

There may be some carvers that don't like to be creative. Just tell them exactly what to do, and they'll give it a go. But, for me, I want is a piece of the carver's genius, some unadulterated creative freedom. Sure, I may ask for a certain sized bowl, or stem material, or just their own take on a particular shape, but I want the carver to feel like he has the freedom to work his magic. That's just me. Good luck, that looks like it will make a cool pipe. Briar works makes some like that already. Did you look around first? Just asking...

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
1bc4d144bc2d96d9d1a18d5c59e951bd.jpg

Pretty close I guess. Don't like the shank adornment, the straight up stem and the thick shank. Would be fun to design pipes though wouldn't it? I mean minus the carving and the work hahaha.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Generally, I will ask Bruce Weaver for a pipe, and only be specific about the stem material, and he really enjoys that, but this year, I drew one up and he was excited to do one of my designs as well. I guess it just depends on the carver.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I just ordered one from Ryan Alden. I was specific as hell. Then I told him to ignore all that and make me a pipe.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
What I've learned is that it helps to find an example from the carvers library, add a detail or two that meet your requirements (stem material, general bowl shape, wall thickness, any adornments) and then just get the fk out and let him/her do the work in peace. When things get very specific or when you pin all your hopes to a design it will almost inevitably lead to disappointment. But do let them know in advance if you have any real deal breakers. We all have 'em and I think they are rarely the same.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Size looks good for the shape. I can't tell exactly what you are wanting to do with the bowl. A perfect profile sketch would help. It seems like a fairly standard Cherrywood, except that the top and bottom each flare out one their own ? So the top of the pipe is a wide convex flare, the bottom half of the pipe is smaller with a concave curve, and the bottom of the pipe itself is flat ?

It is not conventional but would look fine imo.

I think it may look nice if the bottom half was visually even more distint from the top, enough to make its own statement as part of the whole. I would consider shrinking the bottom of the pipe to maybe half its size, still keeping it as a functional sitter but making the bottom more of a foot. I guess I am picturing something like an old chalice cup with a shank and stem.

Then again, when you start considering tweaks like that it's all conjecture until the pipe has been made.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
For what it's worth, most carvers seem to have websites showing their prior work. I like to look through that and pick out different elements from different pipes as a guideline to the carver, but then leave the artwork to the artist. For example, I like the stain on one pipe, the shape on another, the stem style of yet another, the blast or rustication of another. Once I've indicated what I like in a pipe, my job is done.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Very interesting feedback. Lonestar seems to have a good feel for what I am after. Remarkable since he probably has the most experience with commissions, but from the other side. :) I am hoping that some of the guys who just got back from Chicago will chime in as well.
As far as the drilling - I would think that the carver would speak up if the drilling was going to cause a problem. bigpond and jmatt bring up something interesting as well. What if the carver doesn't have a website or if they do, I do not know about it. (such as clickklick, rx2man or zack24, etc.)

clickklick

Lifer
May 5, 2014
This pipe should be makeable.
Should be drillable with no issues by my eye.
I see no issues. Not a difficult shape.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm no carver, but from the sketch, I'd consider the weight involved in the briar versus the only somewhat bent stem. I like a pipe that is comfortable to clench at least for lighting, and often for lunting or otherwise clenching. If you want that much heft, I'd go for more bend. (Just thinking out loud -- take or leave it.) peteguy's photo is a nifty pipe, but the angle of the stem looks a little awkward to me; seems like it wouldn't hang too well, and is pretty heavy at that angle. There's a lot of wisdom in the posts about looking at a carvers completed work. I feel that in many cases, finding something a carver has done on his/her own inspiration that is complete is a surer bet. It includes the freedom for the artist and the freedom for the buyer of looking at their favorite five or ten carvers to find what they like. A commission can be a great idea, but buying from the selection of completed pipes is a surer bet.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Actually - one of my commissioned pipes is from Zack. No website, but I first saw one of his pipes here, looked for other pictures of pipes he made, inquired, he sent me other pictures, I gave him the same type of direction I described above - and now I have my pipe. :)

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Almost looks like a Wayne Teipen Mad Hatter.
That was my first thought...
On the subject of websites, most of us have one, but it's considered bad form to post a link to your own web site (makes the Mods all grumpy)...:)
Sketches are interesting- as much as anything, it gives a carver an idea of how the owner sees the finished pipe in his own mind...The things that make it look good like balanced details and good lines are where the carver does his thing...

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
d78b60d6880239cbcd74493fcb6f318f.jpg

The bowl is correct but the shank and stem are obviously different. So, who should I go with for a mad hatter style bowl with more traditional cherrywood shank and stem? I guess we can call it a Mad Cherrywood? :)

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I would say $100 - $500. For 150 I would expect a homemade rustication tool and a lucite bit. For $500 I would expect something close to mind blowing with the best ring grain blast and the most exquisite cumberland stem ever. No pressure - :)

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Your design is totally doable and will pass a cleaner easily. The bowl is sorta mad hatter-ish but tamed down with a more reserved shank. It looks like a good and attractive design.

Status
Not open for further replies.