PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
There's actually a thread covering this topic over in the tobacco legislation forum where some good points, for and against, are made. I understand that in this day and time the bottom line pretty much drives everything but it still bothers me. As others have mentioned, where does this slippery slope end and what's next? Body mass index? Can't hire fat people. Genetic history? Your father died of heart disease, can't hire you. Family history of cancer? Your out. Are you a diabetic? Sorry, see ya later.

I see this kind of as a Pandora's box. Once opened, the genie will not be returned to the bottle.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
There's actually a thread covering this topic over in the tobacco legislation forum where some good points, for and against, are made. I understand that in this day and time the bottom line pretty much drives everything but it still bothers me. As others have mentioned, where does this slippery slope end and what's next? Body mass index? Can't hire fat people. Genetic history? Your father died of heart disease, can't hire you. Family history of cancer? Your out. Are you a diabetic? Sorry, see ya later.

I see this kind of as a Pandora's box. Once opened, the genie will not be returned to the bottle.
We are living in the age of the Omega Man... that or 1984...

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It's all about the money, folks. A company that size, saving a few bucks on health insurance costs at each location could result in literally millions of dollars to the bottom line. Corporate business is a game, and money is the score by which the game is judged. They will do what they have to do to win.

Makes it an even easier decision when they can do it under the guise of protecting the health of their employees.

Status
Not open for further replies.