PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Hey guys. Been a while since I posted. Life's been busy, and I've been comfortably settled in to smoking the same 3 blends for well over a year now, with no real desire to try anything new or different.
A close friend (who I don't spend near enough time with) lost his father a few weeks ago to cancer. His father, Richard, was 62 years old. A tragic loss of a man who was too young, filled with love and kindness, and brought happiness to everyone he interacted with.
After the funeral, I spent some time with my friend at the hunting cabin he and his father built, where get-togethers are regularly held. As we sat on the porch talking away the moonlight, I asked him if he had ever considered smoking a pipe. He is exactly the type of guy who I think would take to it naturally. He is thoughtful, contemplative, and patient. He smokes cigarettes occasionally, but is not a full-time smoker. I suggested that his "intermittent smoking" was better suited to a pipe than a pack of cigarettes, and that his wife would chastise him much less about it.
He replied that he had often considered trying a pipe, but didn't know where to begin (we have no B&M stores around here where a newcomer can shop for pipes or get advice from a knowledgeable salesman). I told him that I would help him get started, since I have an ample collection of pipes and tobaccos that are basically collecting dust anyways. I asked him if he thought he might be more interested in nicotine heavy blends, or lighter blends. I also explained the basic difference between aromatics and non-aros and asked which one he thought might better align with what he wanted to get out of a pipe smoking experience.
He thinks he will be more interested in aromatics, on the lighter side of the nicotine scale. I already had several unsmoked pipes laying around, along with pipe tools and cleaners, but my tobacco collection is basically devoid of aromatics. So, I had include something for him on my recent order. I decided to go with the "Gold Standard" of aromatics, Lane 1Q.
Having never actually tried it myself, I bought enough for both of us. I have to say, being a non-aro smoker, I was pleasantly surprised by 1Q. It's pleasant aroma is not overbearing, and in no way ruins the experience of the tobacco. It actually adds a new element to it. The quality of the leaf itself is quite high. Bought in bulk, the moisture is almost perfect for smoking, not near as wet and goopy as I expected. I can see why it's the most popular tobacco on the planet.
Today, my friend and his mother are holding a BBQ. It would have been the 41st anniversary of the two if Richard had not passed, and the BBQ is being held in his honor.
I have packed up a gift box for my friend, complete with a new, unsmoked MM Legend, a lightly smoked and fully sanitized Chacom Panel side 1/4 bent, a czech tool, a pipe nail, 100 pack of pipe cleaners, a 3 oz sample of 1Q, and 1 oz each of Luxury twist flake, Dunhill Nightcap, and (my personal favorite and all-day smoke) Orlik Golden Sliced.
Send a prayer out to the pipe gods for my friend, that he may find the path of the briar, reject the temptation of the cigarettes, and become another brother of ours.
While you're at it, send a prayer for Richard's late wife. Thankfully, she has her children who are all loving, happy people to support her. It's so unfortunate to lose your partner when there is still so much life to live.
Have a great weekend, gents. I'm off to the BBQ.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
'Hope the pipe will be solace to your friend. I know your understanding and generosity at this time will be.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hope your gifts comfort your friend. Generosity is what piping is all about.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If you enjoy 1Q, I would recommend its older brother, BL/WB. It's a solid Burley with a similar flavoring, but to a lesser (30%) degree than 1Q, so it's better for natural tobacco smokers. Some of us mix it further, say 40-60 with Cube Cut Burley, for a really tasty flavoring that is like Vanilla with some honey and maple syrup but stays in the background and lets the Burley shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.