PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I have an L.L. bean pipe that was my grand fathers. It needs some hardcore cleaning is about it. However I am afraid to touch this thing. It needs a good reaming and the rim is pretty nasty. Other than that no problems. Looking for someone to help me out.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
You can find all the information you want if you look around. If you've been a forum member for almost 2 years, you know about soaking your stem, purging your shank, and salting your bowl. I picked up a stainless steel reamer for less than $5.00 that I use on my bowls with great success.
Rims respond to a combination of saliva, elbow grease, and patience. You might use a scrap of cotton or a tissue to rub the rim with your saliva....eventually you'll get that crud to break down.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
If you're afraid to touch the pipe, follow your gut and send it off to a reputable repair shop. This will cost you less than setting yourself up with kit to refurbish pipes, and you'll likely be happier with the results. If you plan on purchasing estate pipes regularly, and are going to be cleaning up many pipes, then I'd encourage you to read the articles here on restoration, pick up the materials you need, and then start practicing on pipes which are less precious to you.
Good luck!
-- Pat

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good luck with the restoration. If you decide to let a pipe repair person do this, I think you will be really pleased.

Not real pricey and great results. I owned a L.L. Bean pipe for many years, a classic pot shape with a nice thick

walled bowl, light weight, and a fair smoker. It did have a stinger that did not just slide out. I think that finally

decided me on trading it. It was in way better shape than your grandfather's when I sold it. If you are inexperienced,

be truly careful doing reaming. It is easy to ruin a pipe with overzealous reaming, and once the inside of the bowl

is marred, the pipe will only go downhill.

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
If you're afraid to touch the pipe, follow your gut and send it off to a reputable repair shop. This will cost you less than setting yourself up with kit to refurbish pipes, and you'll likely be happier with the results. If you plan on purchasing estate pipes regularly, and are going to be cleaning up many pipes, then I'd encourage you to read the articles here on restoration, pick up the materials you need, and then start practicing on pipes which are less precious to you.
Good luck!
-- Pat
This, IMO, is the best bit of advice you can get. Restoring pipes is a load of fun and very satisfying and I would encourage anyone that is interested to jump in with both feet. With that said, if I were only going to do one then I probably wouldn't have put myself through all the trouble and would have just sent it out.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I'm with Pruss and Torque. If u want to start restoring pipes, start with some off the bay or at your local antique shop for a few bucks and get some practice while you learn/hone your skills. Then once you're confident in your abilities, technique and tools give it a go on one u care about. Trust me, I have all but ruined pipes that I got and loved (in my beginning years)

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I'm with Pruss and Torque. If u want to start restoring pipes, start with some off the bay or at your local antique shop for a few bucks and get some practice while you learn/hone your skills. Then once you're confident in your abilities, technique and tools give it a go on one u care about. Trust me, I have all but ruined pipes that I got and loved (in my beginning years)

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321364134968?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I would suggest grabbing one of these. Easy to use and hard to mess up as long as you use common sense. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.